1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Combinations/permutations help

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many (natural) numbers less than 100 contain a 3? (Note: 13, 35 and 73 all
    contain a 3 but 42, 65 and 88 do not).

3. The attempt at a solution

Of course I know that the numbers containing a 3 including 10 numbers starting with a 3 (30, . . . 39),and 10 numbers ending in a 3 (3, 13, . . . , 93), with 33 being counted twice, so a total of 19 numbers. I've found this by counting. But is there a quick systematic way of obtaining this answer using combinations/permutations etc? Unfortunently my knowledge of combinatorics is very poor, so I appreciate any help.

Between 10 to 100 there are 98 2-digit numbers that can possibly contain a 3 in the 1's or 10's positions... I'm stuck here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2
    Re: Combinations

Not every combinatorics problem involves permutations or combinations.

Think of it this way: You want to count the numbers of the form xy where x or y is a 3.

It would be easy to overcount, so be careful.

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3

The only count would be 33. So other than counting, there are no easy systematic ways of doing this?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many numbers are there where x is a 3?

How many numbers are there where y is a 3?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook