Combinations Question ; I must be missing something

In summary, when choosing four biscuits from a box containing nine different varieties, there are 252 ways if two are the same and the others are different, 36 ways if two of each of two varieties are selected, and 72 ways if three are the same and the fourth is different. This is calculated using combinations formulas and taking into account the fact that order does not matter.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

A large Box of biscuits contains nine different varieties. In how many ways can four biscuits be chosen if :
a)Two are the same and the others different
b)Two each of two varieties are selected
c)three are the same and the fourth is different

Homework Equations

Combinations formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The number of Choices for the first one are "9"
for the 2nd one is: "1"
for the third one are: "8"
for the fourth one are "7"

Ans : 504 (correct ans : 252 ) [How ?]

b) The number of choices for the 1st : "9"
2nd : "1"
3rd : "8"
4th : "1"
Ans : 72 (correct ans : 36) [How ?]

c) 1st choice : "9"
2nd choice : "1"
3rd Choice : "1"
4th choice : "8"
Ans : 72 (correct ans : 72) [Hmmm...]

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Your method results in double-counting.
Essentially your method is:
(1) Pick 1 variety out of the 9. Let's have two biscuits of this.
(2) Pick 1 variety out of the 8 varieties left. One biscuit.
(3) Pick 1 variety out of the 7 varieties left. One biscuit.

Steps (2) and (3) double count, because your method is assuming that the order matters, which does not. eg. picking biscuit A in step 2 and B in step 3 is the same case as picking biscuit B in step 2 and A in step 3.

b) Same problem of double counting.

c) No double counting because of asymmetry between the cases (i find myself tempted to say that symmetry is broken between the two distinct varieties of biscuits but anyway :p). ie three biscuit A + one biscuit B is not the same as three biscuit B + one biscuit A. That's why you got the correct answer.

Fightfish said:
a) Your method results in double-counting.
Essentially your method is:
(1) Pick 1 variety out of the 9. Let's have two biscuits of this.
(2) Pick 1 variety out of the 8 varieties left. One biscuit.
(3) Pick 1 variety out of the 7 varieties left. One biscuit.

Steps (2) and (3) double count, because your method is assuming that the order matters, which does not. eg. picking biscuit A in step 2 and B in step 3 is the same case as picking biscuit B in step 2 and A in step 3.

b) Same problem of double counting.

c) No double counting because of asymmetry between the cases (i find myself tempted to say that symmetry is broken between the two distinct varieties of biscuits but anyway :p). ie three biscuit A + one biscuit B is not the same as three biscuit B + one biscuit A. That's why you got the correct answer.

You are right, I must divide them by "two" . I understand !

1. What is a combinations question?

A combinations question is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the number of ways a certain number of items can be selected from a larger set of items, without regard to order. For example, if you have 5 different colored balls and you want to choose 3 of them, a combinations question would ask how many different combinations of 3 balls can be chosen from the 5.

2. How do I solve a combinations question?

To solve a combinations question, you first need to determine the total number of items in the set and the number of items you want to select. Then, use the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!) to calculate the number of combinations, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items you want to select.

3. What if there are restrictions on the combinations?

If there are restrictions on the combinations, such as certain items cannot be selected together, the formula for solving combinations will need to be adjusted. You can use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! to calculate the number of permutations, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items you want to select.

4. Can combinations be used in real life situations?

Yes, combinations are frequently used in real life situations. For example, when creating passwords or combinations for locks, figuring out the number of different meal options at a restaurant, or determining the number of ways to arrange a group of people in a line for a photo.

5. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

The main difference between combinations and permutations is that combinations do not take into account the order of the items being selected, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are concerned with how many ways a group of items can be selected, while permutations are concerned with how many ways a group of items can be arranged in a certain order.