Combinations with limited repitition

In summary, To find the number of combinations of a list, you need to consider the groups of equal members and take into account their size. In this conversation, the list given is {2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,5,7} which has 7 groups of 2, 4 groups of 3, 1 group of 5, and 1 group of 7. Using the formula (n+1)(m+1)(p+1)(q+1), where n, m, p, and q represent the number of times each group appears, we get (7+1)(4+1)(1+1)(1+
soandos
How can one find the number of combinations of a list such as {2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,5,7} (7 2s, 4 3s, 1 5, 1 7). I am pretty sure that the answer is 160 (the number of proper divisors of 9!). How can I figure it out using combinations/permutations or some other method?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Soandos.

You have a list with 13 members, in groups of 7,4,1 and 1.
Let us proceed step by step.
1) In how may ways may you combine 13 members ?
2) Among all these ways, how will you take into account the groups of equals members, of size 7,4,1 and 1?

sum of binomials = 8192
dividing by 7! then 4! does not work...
Am I correct in assuming that 160 is the correct answer?

Last edited:
is the fact that its 2^13 coincidence?

Suppose you have the following list: {a,b,c}.
In how many ways may you arrange these three members ?

Combinations?
a,b,c
a,b
b,c
a,c
a
b
c

so 8 = 3!/1! + 2(the null and the full) (1 being number of repeated elements)
doing that for my original set gives 158 if i don't differentiate between what gets repeated (i.e. 13!/12! + 2 = 158) but it seems that there are more.

There is only one combination that uses all 13 elements so I assume that's not your question.

Instead of me guessing any more please define your question properly.

- Do you want permutations using all 13 elements?
- Combinations that use one each of the four different elements?
- etc etc. There really are a lot of DIFFERENT questions that I could make from that list!

Don't make people guess what the question is, specify it fully!

Last edited:
I want ALL possible combinations, of every length, using only the elements in the list. 2,2,3 is indistinct from 2,3,2.

to restate the question differently (I hope these statements are equivalent) given the prime factors of a number and their powers, how many proper divisors does it have?

So, if I understand you, you have the number

[tex]362880 = 2^{7}\cdot3^{4}\cdot5\cdot7[/tex]

and you want to calculate how may proper divisors does it have.

If one of the factors has exponent n, then, counting also the zero exponent, this factor may arise in n+1 ways. So for the other factors.

Thus the number of proper divisors is [tex](7+1)\cdot(4+1)\cdot2\cdot2=160[/tex]

From a combinatorial point of view, I suppose you can read this as follows:

Number 2 appears 7 times in the initial set.
So in the possible combinations, it can appear in (7+1) possible ways (one for the number 2 not appearing).
In the same way, number 3 can appear in (4+1) possible ways.
And the same for number 5 and number 7.
So the number of combinations would be the product.

Last edited:
thank you.

1. What is meant by combinations with limited repetition?

Combinations with limited repetition refer to a mathematical concept where a set of elements is selected from a larger set of elements, but with a limit on the number of times each element can be used. This means that once an element is selected, it cannot be used again in the same combination.

2. How is the number of combinations with limited repetition calculated?

The number of combinations with limited repetition can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r! * (n-r)!, where n represents the total number of elements in the set and r represents the number of elements being selected. This formula takes into account the fact that the order of the elements does not matter in a combination.

3. What is the difference between combinations with limited repetition and combinations with unlimited repetition?

Combinations with limited repetition have a restriction on the number of times an element can be used in a combination, while combinations with unlimited repetition allow for the same element to be used multiple times in a combination. Additionally, combinations with unlimited repetition often have a larger number of possible combinations compared to combinations with limited repetition.

4. How are combinations with limited repetition used in real life?

Combinations with limited repetition have various applications in real life, such as in statistics, probability, and genetics. For example, in genetics, combinations with limited repetition can be used to calculate the number of possible genetic outcomes when considering traits from both parents.

5. Can combinations with limited repetition be used for problem-solving?

Yes, combinations with limited repetition can be used for problem-solving in various fields, such as computer science, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario, which can help in decision-making and solving complex problems.