Combinatorics problem Need help

In summary, the number of different seating arrangements is 564480 combinations. This can be calculated by first considering France and England as one unit and calculating the number of permutations, which is 2*9!. Then subtract the number of arrangements where France and England are together and Russia and the U.S. are together, which is 2*2*8!. The final equation is 2*9! - 2*2*8! = 564480. The error in the original calculation was using a factor of 18 instead of 16 in the term for arrangements with France and England together and Russia and the U.S. together.
lesdavies123
Hi, this is the problem: Delegates from 10 countries, including Russia, France, England, and the United States, are to be seated in a row. How many different seating arrangements are possible if the French and English delegates are to be seated next to each other and the Russian and U.S. delegates are not to be next to each other.

So apparently the answer is 564 480 combinations, I come close to that, but not quite. Can anyone please correct my way of doing it which is as follows:

18 x (8!-14x(6!)) = 544 320 combinations

To justify my answer, the first 18 is for the 18 different combinations where England and France are sitting next to each other, then I tried to do the rest of the problem as if there were only 8 countries so if anyone sat next to anyone it would be 8! but - 14 (for all the different ways Russia and the US could be sitting next to each other) x 6! for all the different sitting patterns of the remaining countries! Obviously my way is wrong (unless a mistake in the answer key) so can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong and what method would be better! Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If Russia and the US sit next to each other at the 8-party-table, it could still be a valid combination if France and England are in between in the full setup.

Hi, not sure if I get your answer, but do you mean if Russia and the US were only separated by France and England? How can I bring that into my equation? Thank you!

Hi! Figured it out thanks to your helpful answer! Thank you very much!

Getting their answer: Consider France and England as one unit. Ignoring the restriction on Russia and the U.S., calculate the number of permutations. That is 9!. But it is doubled because France and England can be in either order. So 2*9!. Similarly, count how many have France and England together and also have Russia and the U.S. together: 2*2*8! Subtract to get 2*9! - 2*2*8! =564480.
This is 18*8! - 16*14*6!

Your answer: 18 x (8!-14x(6!)) = 18*8! - 18*14*6!

The error: You can see that your calculation of the term -18*14*6! has the factor of 18 because you are allowing the combination of France and England to split Russia and the U.S. That is wrong. Russia and the U.S. are always together in this term. So there should be a 2*8 = 16 factor for it, not your 2*9=18 factor

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a specific way.

2. What are some common types of combinatorics problems?

Some common types of combinatorics problems include counting problems, permutation problems, and combination problems.

3. How do I approach a combinatorics problem?

The key to solving a combinatorics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the type of problem and use appropriate counting techniques, such as the multiplication rule or the addition rule, to find the solution.

4. Can you give an example of a combinatorics problem?

Sure! A classic combinatorics problem is the "birthday problem," which asks how many people need to be in a room for there to be a 50% chance that at least two of them share the same birthday.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving combinatorics problems?

Practice makes perfect! The more you work on combinatorics problems, the better you will become at identifying patterns and applying the appropriate techniques. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.