Combined time dilation due to SR and GR

In summary, the cosmonaut's age will be different from his age if he stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation and gravitational redshift.
insynC

Homework Statement

A cosmonaut spends a few years in an orbit above the Earth. We would like to estimate how his age will differ from his age if he had stayed on Earth. We will consider two separate effects.

(a) First calculate the effect due to time dilation from Special Relativity. Let the cosmonaut be orbiting in a circular orbit at a height 200 km above the Earth's surface. Assume that the velocity at the Earth's surface is negligible. What is the ratio of the cosmonaut's time interval compared to the time interval at the Earth's surface?

(b) The second effect is due to gravitational redshift. Write down an expression for the ratio between the time intervals at the surface of the Earth and in the cosmonaut's spaceship. What is the value of this ratio for the values given in the previous part of the question?

(c) In part (a) we assumed that the velocity at the Earth's surface was negligible. Explain why this is a reasonable assumption.

[You may take the radius of the Earth to be 6380km.]

Homework Equations

Doppler shift equation:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]1 / [tex]\lambda[/tex]2 = 1 + z = sqrt[(1 +v/c)/(1-v/c)]

Gravitational redshift:

[tex]\lambda[/tex] / [tex]\lambda[/tex]0 = 1 + z = [1 - 2GM/(c[tex]^{}2[/tex]R)]^(-1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know time is proportional to 1/frequency, so I'm going to need to use the Doppler shift equation in part (a) and the Gravitational redshift equation for part (b).

The fact I am given a [tex]\Delta[/tex]R (200km) as the distance above the Earth makes me think I'm going to need to apply calculus to these equations. But I'm not exactly sure how to approach this

For (a) I think I might need to use the radial velocity equation to determine v, then perhaps differentiate this. But I am not sure whether this is the right approach, and even if it is how to go about it.

I am not sure at all about (c).

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I'm getting somewhere with this, is the right approach to use the Newton error approximation:

For Z(x,y,...)

(∆Z)² = (∂Z/∂x)²(∆x)² +(∂Z/∂y)²(∆y)² + ...

Then to find v for Doppler Shift I can use: v=SQRT(MG/R), and I can use the given equation directly for red shift from GR.

My concern is that when I use the Newton method, what value do I use for r, is it at the point of the cosmonaut, on the surface of the Earth, or in between?

Also I still have no idea about (c) :S.

Thanks

Would I be best of posting the error approximation in the maths section?

1. What is combined time dilation due to SR and GR?

Combined time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time runs slower for an observer in a strong gravitational field, as predicted by General Relativity, and also when an observer moves at high speeds, as predicted by Special Relativity. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative motion and the strength of the gravitational field they are in.

2. How does Special Relativity contribute to time dilation?

In Special Relativity, time dilation occurs when an object moves at high speeds relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for it. This is known as time dilation and is a key concept in Special Relativity.

3. How does General Relativity contribute to time dilation?

In General Relativity, time dilation occurs due to the warping of space-time by massive objects. This warping of space-time causes time to run slower in regions with stronger gravitational fields. This is known as gravitational time dilation and has been confirmed by experiments such as the Pound-Rebka experiment.

4. Is combined time dilation observable in everyday life?

Yes, combined time dilation is observable in everyday life. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) has to account for both Special and General Relativity in its calculations, as the satellites are moving at high speeds and are also in weaker gravitational fields compared to the surface of the Earth. If these effects were not taken into consideration, the GPS system would accumulate errors of up to 7 miles per day.

5. Can combined time dilation have practical applications?

Yes, combined time dilation has practical applications in fields such as global navigation systems and space travel. By understanding and accounting for the effects of Special and General Relativity, we are able to make precise calculations and measurements that would not be possible otherwise. Time dilation also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of black holes and the evolution of the universe.