Commutativity Equation Of Hamilton and Position Operators

Leibniz rule is just a helpful tool for this problem.In summary, to show the equation \left[\hat{H},\hat{x}\right]=\frac{-i\hbar}{m} \hat{p_{x}}, we can use the form of the Hamiltonian \hat H = {\hat {p}^2 \over {2m}} + V(\vec r)} and apply the Leibniz rule to arrive at the result. Knowing the equation \left[\hat{p}_x,\hat{x}\right]=-i\hbar also helps in this process.
buraqenigma
How can we show [tex]\left[\hat{H},\hat{x}\right]=\frac{-i\hbar}{m} \hat{p_{x}}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
is this regular ?

[tex]\left[\hat{p_{x}}^2,\hat{x}\right]=\left[\hat{p_{x}},\hat{x}\right]\hat{p_{x}}+\hat{p_{x}}\left[\hat{x},\hat{p_{x}}\right][/tex] ( from leibniz rule)

buraqenigma said:
How can we show [tex]\left[\hat{H},\hat{x}\right]=\frac{-i\hbar}{m} \hat{p_{x}}[/tex] ?

Well, do you know the form of the Hamiltonian?

[tex][p^2,x] = ppx - xpp = p[p,x]-pxp - [x,p]p + pxp[/tex]

buraqenigma said:
[tex]\left[\hat{p_{x}}^2,\hat{x}\right]=\left[\hat{p_{x}},\hat{x}\right]\hat{p_{x}}+\hat{p_{x}}\left[\hat{x},\hat{p_{x}}\right][/tex] ( from leibniz rule)

Yes, that is correct.

if we know [tex]\left[\hat{p}_x,\hat{x}\right]=-i\hbar[/tex] we can show this equation. Thanks my friends for your helps.

buraqenigma said:
if we know [tex]\left[\hat{p}_x,\hat{x}\right]=-i\hbar[/tex] we can show this equation. Thanks my friends for your helps.

Yes, but you will have to start with the Hamiltonian operator first,
[tex]\hat H = {\hat {p}^2 \over {2m}} + V(\vec r)}[/tex]
and arrive at your result.

1. What is the commutativity equation of Hamilton and position operators?

The commutativity equation of Hamilton and position operators is a mathematical relationship that describes the order in which these operators can be applied to a system. It states that the order in which these operators are applied does not affect the final result, meaning that they commute with each other.

2. What is the significance of the commutativity equation in quantum mechanics?

The commutativity equation is essential in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the uncertainty in the measurement of position and momentum of a particle. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. How does the commutativity equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The commutativity equation is directly related to the uncertainty principle as it is used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of position and momentum. The equation shows that the position and momentum operators do not commute, which leads to the uncertainty principle.

4. Can the commutativity equation be applied to all operators in quantum mechanics?

No, the commutativity equation only applies to a specific set of operators, such as the Hamilton and position operators. Other operators, such as the momentum operator, do not commute and therefore cannot be described by this equation.

5. How is the commutativity equation related to the time evolution of a quantum system?

The commutativity equation plays a crucial role in the time evolution of a quantum system. It allows us to determine the time evolution of a system by using the Hamilton operator, which is defined in terms of the commutator with the position and momentum operators. This equation is essential for predicting the behavior of quantum systems over time.