Compensating for Accelerometer Misalignment

In summary, the individual is seeking help with correcting cross axis misalignment errors in their program that uses a Tri Axial Accelerometer. They have worked through the axis offset and scaling, but are now struggling with matrix inversion and transposition. They have provided two papers on the subject and have managed to create a table and write a matrix inversion function, but are stuck and would appreciate assistance. Another individual mentions trying to solve a similar problem using initial roll, pitch, and yaw calculations, but has not found success yet.
IMK
Hello
I am developing a programme in C that uses a Tri Axial Accelerometer and I have become bogged down with the maths for correcting cross axis misalignment errors and was wondering if someone could help me please.

I have two papers on the subject and I have worked my way through the axis offset and scaling. But I am finding this matrix inversion and transposition more than a handful.

The papers are to be found here:

This one is the general math
http://www.summitinstruments.com/knowledge_center/pdf/TN413.pdf

This one is to an application note from the manufacture of the device I am
using (or similar)

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/17289.pdf

From Page 9 on is the alignment error correction stuff.
I have created a Table 2 and written the software to do Equation 1 (I think it is correct). I have managed to write a Matrix Inversion function that I think is correct as I have compared it with the Determinant and Inverted Output from the Online Matrix calculator here; http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/

But now I am stuck, help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am having a similar problem however I am unable to access the papers you have posted. The way I have approach this one is by working out inital roll pitch and yaw using the following;

roll = arcsin(Xval/1)
pitch = arcsin(Yval/1)
yaw = arcos(1/Zval)

I then input these into rotation matrix in mathlab. However this does not quite give correct result. Am still working with this problem

1. What is accelerometer misalignment?

Accelerometer misalignment refers to the difference between the actual orientation of an accelerometer and the intended orientation. This can lead to inaccurate measurements and affect the performance of the device.

2. How does accelerometer misalignment occur?

Accelerometer misalignment can occur due to various factors, such as human error during installation, mechanical stresses on the device, or external magnetic fields. It can also be caused by manufacturing defects or wear and tear over time.

3. What are the consequences of accelerometer misalignment?

The consequences of accelerometer misalignment include inaccurate measurements, which can lead to errors in calculations and incorrect analysis of data. It can also affect the overall performance and reliability of the device.

4. How can accelerometer misalignment be compensated for?

Accelerometer misalignment can be compensated for by calibrating the device, which involves determining the misalignment angles and correcting them. This can be done through software adjustments or physical adjustments to the device's mounting position.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate accelerometer misalignment?

It is difficult to completely eliminate accelerometer misalignment, as it can be caused by various factors. However, regular calibration and proper handling of the device can minimize the effects of misalignment and improve its accuracy.