Compensate for the displacement of an accelerometer measurement

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rabun
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello
I want to measure the lateral acceleration at the center of gravity of a vehicle. I cannot place the accelerometer here since I cannot mount it properly so I have placed it 75 cm to the left of the CG. The longitudinal and and vertical placement is approximately correct.

It there som way to compensate for the misplacement of the sensor? so that the acceleration measured and corrected it the one experienced at the CG?

Tips, hints, papers, links and so on are more than welcome

Thank you kindly for any and all help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Basic dynamics sir:

[tex]a_p=a_{cg}+\dot{\omega}_B \times r_s + \omega_B \times \left(\omega_B \times r_s \right) + 2\omega_B[/tex]

Where

[tex]a_p[/tex] is the acceleration at the point in question
[tex]\omega_B[/tex] is the angular velocity of the body
[tex]r_s[/tex] is the position of the sensor in question

google dynamics for acceleration at a point for an explanation of each term
 
Thank you:) Some times it's just a matter of not knowing how to phrase your search. It helped, thanks.