Complete Analytical Exact Solutions of Navier-Stokes Eqs: Fluid Mechanics Book

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
makethings
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Is there a book, series of notes, lectures, PDF, PPT or anything that contains all known complete analytical exact solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, information regarding exact solutions to the N-S equations is mostly just published in several papers.
 
Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.
 
An exact solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for magnetohydrodynamic flow

Journal Acta Mechanica
Publisher Springer Wien
ISSN 0001-5970 (Print) 1619-6937 (Online)
Issue Volume 113, Numbers 1-4 / March, 1995


maybe this is what you are looking for
 
makethings said:
Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

You could. But from what I understand, the conditions in which an exact solution can be found are not really applicable to anything useful. So in a nutshell, when people are looking for solutions to real life fluid mechanics problems they don't go looking for an exact solution but a method to give them an accurate approximation.
 
makethings said:
Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

Don't waste your time.
 
To my knowledge, there are very few exact solutions to the NS equations. The conditions that could be solved are very simple.

Here's an intro to a journal paper:
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.fl.23.010191.001111