Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Inverse Function Theorem

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hi, the statement of Inverse Function Theorem for Complex functions I learned is this:

"let f:A->C, g:B->C be continuous s.t. f(A) \subset B. A,B are both open subsets of C, the complex plane. If g(f(z)) = z for all z in A, and g is analytic on f(z) where g'(f(z)) != 0, then f is analytic on z and f'(z) = 1/(g'(f(z))"

My question is this: suppose the condition that "g is analytic on f(z)" is not true. Could f(z) still be analytic at that point?

In another word, does there exist function f s.t. g(f(z)) = z, g is not analytic at f(z) but f is analytic at z ?

I've been playing around with z^(1/n) and z^n where it is possible that g(f(z)) = z but f(g(z)) != z, but I still can't find any examples.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If there were, you could reverse the rolls of f and g in the theorem to say:
    "let f:A->C, g:B->C be continuous s.t. g(B) \subset A. A,B are both open subsets of C, the complex plane. If f(g(z)) = z for all z in A, and f is analytic on g(z) where f'(g(z)) != 0, then g is analytic on z and g'(z) = 1/(g'(f(z))"
    In order that g NOT be analytic, we would have to have f'(g(z))= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook