Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complicated child support case

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25898.aspx
    Seems unfair to the boy since this was statuatory rape.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    From what you posted, there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't consensual. Just because she did something illegal, doesn't relieve him of responsibility for his actions.

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    If this did go down as reported, and she is convicted of the crimes she is accused of, then the boy was unable to legally consent to sexual activity due to being underage.

Can you imagine? First being victimized by someone he thought he could trust, and then being ordered to pay that person for the next 18 years. This kid is probably going to need a good therapist no matter how it pans out, which is really unfortunate.

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4
    Statutory rape is a load of crap. 15 year olds had kids all the time "back in the day" and 18 is a really arbitrary number.

The only question is did he consent or not? He might have been coerced or threatened. If he just decided to jump right in, well that's how it goes. Should have had a condom.

6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Every 15 year old's wet dream? The real issue is where were the adults.

As a minor, they are the ones on the hook for the child support anyway. I'd be surprised if he feels victimized yet.

Now maybe the parents might feel victimized, but then again there is a wide range of possibilities as to the circumstances here, so even that is hard to know.

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Girls who get raped and pregnant, are stuck to care for the child (usually).

Guy gets raped and girl gets pregnant, so he also gets stuck to care for the child.

Kind of weird.

8. Aug 19, 2008 #7
    Child support is not for the benefit of the caretaker it is for the benefit of the child, hence I am of the opinion that both parents should to be held responsible for the raising of the child.

Very sad story.

9. Aug 19, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Legally, no.

10. Aug 19, 2008 #9
    There are so many child support issues in this world and what ever surprises me is how anyone can possibly refuse to support their own biological child. The child has no fault in how it was conceived and is not accountable for the quality of the relationship between the biological parents .

11. Aug 19, 2008 #10
    Yeah, the law is messed up, I thought I had mentioned that in my post? Legally you get sent into a small cell for a number of years for holding some grass in your pocket.

12. Aug 19, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be the best possible outcome if the boy's parents are awarded custody of the baby. Poor kid. It sounds like mother and baby have gone back to the "abusive" home she was trying to escape. If the mother goes to jail, the baby could possibly be left in a bad or even dangerous situation for a while.

13. Aug 19, 2008 #12
    Stories like this are bound to happen as long as the law forbids abortions for men.

14. Aug 19, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's a bit like a law to un-ring a bell.

Or un-shoot a bullet.

15. Aug 19, 2008 #14

Mk

Very true, I think.

Both of the kids probably knew better. It's more likely than not that they intended on having sex but did not intend on having a baby.

16. Aug 19, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a related note, how does the law deal with sex between two underaged participants?

17. Aug 19, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I remember a case (in the US) where the male was charged. Nothing happened to the female.

18. Aug 19, 2008 #17
    Ha ha...I gotta say, theres a line where the government really shouldn't be allowed to cross, like what Gokul is mentioning...

19. Aug 19, 2008 #18
    I wonder why she didn't do abortion.

I think all blame goes to her step father

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?