Compute the energy for 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives

In summary, the normalization constant should be calculated by considering the first two cases of the delta-function expression, but the discontinuities in the derivatives of the wave function make it difficult to determine which case to consider.
entanglement witness
Homework Statement
Hi,

I am given the following set of trial wave functions depending on some parameter alpha.

[tex]
\psi(x,y) = \begin{cases}
A \left(1 - |xy|/a^2\right) e^{- \alpha} & |x| \leq a,\, |y| \leq a \\
A \left(1 - |x|/a\right) e^{- \alpha |y| / a} & |x| \leq a,\, |y| > a \\
A \left(1 - |y|/a\right) e^{- \alpha |x| / a} & |x| > a,\, |y| \leq a \\
0 & \text{else} \\
\end{cases}
[/tex]

where a > 0 and asked to show that the expectation value of the free Hamiltonian reads:

[tex]
<\psi | H | \psi> = \frac{3 \hbar^2}{m a^{2}} \left( \frac{a^{2} + 2 \alpha + 3}{6 + 11 \alpha} \right)
[/tex]
Relevant Equations
[tex]
H = - \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \left( \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} \right)
[/tex]
I have calculated the normalization constant, but I'm struggling with the discontinuities in the derivatives of the wave function. Due to the symmetry, it should suffice to consider the first two cases. The results should be (according to WolframAlpha):

[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} \right) \left(1 - |xy|/a^2\right) e^{- \alpha} = -2 e^{-\alpha} (x^2 + y^2) \delta(x y)/a^2
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} \right) \left(1 - |x|/a\right) e^{- \alpha |y| / a} =
(1 - |x|/a) \left( \frac{ \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha |y|/a}}{a^2} - \frac{2 \alpha \delta(y)}{a}\right) - \frac{2 \delta(x) e^{-\alpha |y|/a}}{a}
[/tex]

Then, again for symmetry reasons, I assume that I need to compute three integrals, namely:

[tex]
-2 \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d}x \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d}y \left(1 - |xy|/a^2\right) e^{- 2 \alpha} x^2 \delta(xy)
[/tex]

(first equation, term with y^2 should give the same result)

[tex]
\int_{0}^{a} \mathrm{d}x \int_{a}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \left(1 - x/a\right)^{2} e^{- 2 \alpha y / a} \frac{\alpha^{2}}{a^{2}}
[/tex]

(first term in the second equation)

[tex]
- \frac{2}{a} \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d}x \int_{a}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \left(1 - |x|/a\right) e^{- 2 \alpha y / a} \delta(x)
[/tex]

(third term in the second equation, the second should not contribute)

Could someone check if those integrals (including the limits) are correct? I get the wrong result when adding them up (assuming that the first integral contributes twice, the second eight times and the third four times)... I would just like to know if I'm completely on the wrong track or just made a mistake in the calculation.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
##\nabla^2 \psi(x,y)## produces four cases of delta-function expressions that will occur along certain lines in the x-y plane. These lines are indicated by the colored lines in the figure below:

By symmetry, each of the different colors contributes either 4 or 8 times. You should be able to see that the delta-function that occurs along the red line will not contribute when calculating ##\iint \psi \nabla^2 \psi \,dx\,dy ##. So, that leaves the three cases: blue, green, and orange. You can find the form of the delta function expression for each of these cases by looking at the discontinuity in either ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}## or ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial y}## when crossing perpendicularly one of the colored lines.

1. What is a 2D wave function?

A 2D wave function is a mathematical representation of a wave in two-dimensional space. It describes the behavior of a wave, such as its amplitude, frequency, and wavelength, at different points in space.

2. What are discontinuous derivatives?

Discontinuous derivatives refer to points on a wave function where the slope changes abruptly, resulting in a discontinuity or sharp change in the function's value. This can occur at points where there are sudden changes in the wave's behavior, such as at a boundary or a sharp peak.

3. Why is it important to compute the energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives?

Computing the energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the wave more accurately. It helps us determine the amount of energy present at different points in the wave, which is crucial in many applications, such as in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

4. How is the energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives calculated?

The energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives is calculated using the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. The Hamiltonian operator is applied to the wave function, and the resulting equation is solved to obtain the energy at different points in the wave.

5. What are some real-world applications of computing the energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives?

Some real-world applications of computing the energy for a 2D wave function with discontinuous derivatives include analyzing the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, studying wave propagation in different materials, and designing efficient signal processing algorithms. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics to understand and manipulate waves for various purposes.