Computer on fire (and is still ok after that)

In summary, the speaker experienced a sudden fire in their PC while sitting at their desk in the lab. They quickly cut off the power and checked the mainboard, which had scorches but no visible damage. Despite the computer still functioning normally, it is advised to assume it is no longer safe and get the power supply checked. The speaker also warns about the potential danger of silane gas residue. The conversation also mentions a video and a laptop being the speaker's preferred device.
Stan Marsh
Today when I was sitting at my desk in the lab, all of a sudden I saw fire in my PC! So I cut off the power in a hurry, and opened the case to check it.

Then I turned on the power, and to everyone's surprise, it started up normally like nothing happened!

At that moment I was totally ... Oh, I can not describe that complicated feeling...

There are scorches on the mainboard, but nothing seems to be damaged by the fire. Thank god my data and programs are still there.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to assume it is no longer safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJCZ4ayioCU

Oh wait, you didn't say it was a laptop. That's about all that I use.

That was cool Ivan.

I don't think it will be for Stan though...

For me, yeah!

Wow... the notion of that happening on my crotch is really quite an arresting experience.

Anyway, Ivan is right and you should STILL assume it isn't safe until you at least get the power supply checked out. Anything beyond that would just be damage to the computer... oh, and be careful of the silane gas residue, it's not good for you (to put it mildly).

Ivan Seeking said:
You need to assume it is no longer safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJCZ4ayioCU

Oh wait, you didn't say it was a laptop. That's about all that I use.

Thanks, the computer has been sent for check. Even though it still works after the fair, I guess no one dares to use it.

1. What causes a computer to catch on fire?

There are several potential causes for a computer to catch on fire, including overheating due to dust build-up or malfunctioning cooling fans, power surges or electrical shorts, and faulty or damaged components.

2. Is it safe to continue using a computer after it has caught on fire?

In most cases, it is not safe to continue using a computer that has caught on fire. Even if the fire has been extinguished and the computer appears to be functioning, there may be hidden damage to components or wiring that could lead to further hazards or malfunctions.

3. Can a computer be repaired after it has caught on fire?

It is possible for a computer to be repaired after it has caught on fire, depending on the extent of the damage. However, it is important to have a professional assess the damage and determine if the cost of repair is worth it compared to purchasing a new computer.

4. How can I prevent my computer from catching on fire?

To prevent a computer from catching on fire, it is important to regularly clean dust from the interior of the computer and ensure that all components are functioning properly. It is also recommended to use a surge protector and avoid overloading power outlets.

5. What should I do if my computer catches on fire?

If your computer catches on fire, the first step is to turn off the power and unplug the computer. Then, use a fire extinguisher or call for help to extinguish the fire. After the fire is out, have a professional assess the damage and determine the next steps for repair or replacement.