1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentration for reactants: KMnO4+Sugar+NaOH

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    I am given a topic: rate of reaction affected by change in concentration.
    We have to design a lab - come up with reactions and write a procedure
    KMnO4+Sugar+NaOH
    How much KMnO4 should I put in the mixture of Sugar and NaOH.
    And how much Sugar and NaOH should I start of with
    I am gonna dilute the sugar with water -- changing the concentration of sugar?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The idea of using different concentrations is right. Assuming this is a reaction between sugar (note: sugar is a very broad category, hard to tell what do you really mean: glucose? sucrose? starch?) and permanganate you can vary concentration of either reagent.

But first you need to defining the "sugar" thing and finding out the reaction.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    sorry = C12H22O11.
    Want to know the initial concentration of the reaction please help

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This formula is still not unique, but let's say you mean sucrose.

Concentrations... This is not something that can be told out of nothing. You either have to google for similar experiments, or try several different concentrations to see which works best. I would start with 0.01M, 0.1M, 1M, as they are easy to prepare by dilution and cover reasonable range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook