Conceptual Solution of a First Order PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to first order partial differential equations and how it is related to ordinary differential equations. The final form of the solution can be expressed in terms of a first integral and the flow generated by the vector field.
Gallo
Hello I would like to check my reasoning about solutions of first order PDE. I've spell out (almost) all details.

I'll consider the following problem: find ##u=u(t,x)## s.t. :
$$ \partial_t u(t,x) + a(x) \cdot \nabla u(x) =0 \qquad \qquad u(0,x) = u_0(x)$$
say with smooth coefficient and initial condition (I'm not too much worried about local existence etc..).

Next I consider the following ordinary differential equation:
$$ \dot{X}(s) = a(X(s)) \qquad X(0) = y$$
whose solution ## X(s,p)## satisfies:
$$ X(t+s,y) = X(t,X(s,y))$$
and ##X(0,y)=y ##.

Then If I define ## w(s) = u(s,X(s))##, it must be:
$$ \frac{d w(s)}{d s} = \partial_t u(s,X(s)) + a(X(s)) \cdot \nabla u(X(s)) = 0$$
that is on the curves ##X(s)##:
$$u(t,X(t,y)) = w(t) = w(0) = u(0,X(0,y)) = u_0(y) .$$

Now given ## x## I need to find ## y## such that ## x = X(t,y) ##. If I consider ## X(-t,x)##, then:
$$ X(-t,x) = X(-t,X(t,y)) = X(t-t,y) = y$$
This means that ## u## is given by:
$$ u(t,x) = u_0(X(-t,x))$$

Moreover if I define ##\tilde{X}(s,y) = X(-s,y)##, then it solves:
$$ \dot{\tilde{X}}(s) = - a(\tilde{X}(s)) \qquad \tilde{X}(0) = y$$
so that the final form of the solution can also be given by
$$ u(t,x) = u_0(\tilde{X}(t,x))$$

Is this correct?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct. Indeed if ##g^t(x)## is a flow generated by the vector field ##a(x)## then a function ##u(t,x)=u_0(g^{-t}(x))## is a solution to the following Cauchy problem
$$u_t+a^i\frac{\partial u}{\partial x^i}=0,\quad u\mid_{t=0}=u_0(x).$$
To obtain this fact it is sufficient to differentiate the equality
$$u(t,g^t(y))=u_0(y)$$ in time and then put ##y=g^{-t}(x)##

##u(t,x)## is a first integral to the system ##\dot x=a(x)##

Last edited:
zwierz said:
It looks correct. Indeed if ##g^t(x)## is a flow generated by the vector field ##a(x)## then a function ##u(t,x)=u_0(g^{-t}(x))## is a solution to the following Cauchy problem
$$u_t+a^i\frac{\partial u}{\partial x^i}=0,\quad u\mid_{t=0}=u_0(x).$$
To obtain this fact it is sufficient to differentiate the equality
$$u(t,g^t(y))=u_0(y)$$ in time and then put ##y=g^{-t}(x)##

##u(t,x)## is a first integral to the system ##\dot x=a(x)##

Also it can also be said that ##g^{-t}(x)## is the flow generated by ##-a(x)##, correct?

yes

1. What is a conceptual solution of a first order PDE?

A conceptual solution of a first order PDE is a theoretical solution that gives an idea of the behavior of the PDE without explicitly solving for the exact solution. It involves using concepts and techniques from other areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and calculus, to analyze the behavior of the PDE.

2. How is a conceptual solution different from an analytical solution?

An analytical solution of a first order PDE is the exact solution that satisfies the PDE and any given initial or boundary conditions. It involves solving for the solution using mathematical techniques and finding an explicit formula. A conceptual solution, on the other hand, does not involve finding an explicit formula and instead focuses on understanding the behavior of the PDE.

3. What are some common techniques used to find a conceptual solution of a first order PDE?

Some common techniques used to find a conceptual solution of a first order PDE include the method of characteristics, separation of variables, and similarity solutions. These techniques involve using mathematical concepts and tools to analyze the PDE and gain insight into its behavior.

4. Can a conceptual solution be used to approximate the exact solution of a first order PDE?

Yes, a conceptual solution can be used to approximate the exact solution of a first order PDE. By understanding the behavior of the PDE, one can make approximations and estimations that can give a good idea of the behavior of the exact solution. However, a conceptual solution should not be used as a substitute for an analytical solution.

5. Are there any limitations to finding a conceptual solution of a first order PDE?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding a conceptual solution of a first order PDE. The techniques used to find a conceptual solution may not always work for every type of PDE, and the conceptual solution may not always accurately represent the behavior of the exact solution. It is important to carefully analyze the PDE and consider its limitations when using a conceptual solution.