On error estimates of approximate solutions

psie
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to estimate the error between an approximate and an exact solution, but I get a very poor estimate.
I'm reading Ordinary Differential Equations by Andersson and Böiers. They give an estimate for how the difference between an exact and an approximate solution propagates with time. Then they give an example where they encourage the reader to check that this estimate holds. When I do that, I get a very bad estimate and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I will first state a definition of what it means to be an approximate solution and then state the theorem that gives the estimate.

Definition 1. Let ##I## be an interval on the real axis, and ##\Omega## an open set in ##\mathbf R\times\mathbf{R}^n##. Assume that the function ##\pmb{f}:\Omega\to\mathbf{R}^n## is continuous. A continuous function ##\pmb{x}(t),\ t\in I##, is called an ##\varepsilon##-approximate solution of the system ##\pmb{x}'=\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{x})## if ##(t,\pmb{x})\in\Omega## when ##t\in I## and $$\left|\pmb{x}(t'')-\pmb{x}(t')-\int_{t'}^{t''} \pmb{f}(s,\pmb{x}(s))ds\right|\leq \varepsilon|t''-t'|\quad \text{when } t',t''\in I.\tag1$$

If ##\pmb{x}## is differentiable, then choosing ##t'=t## and ##t''=t+h## and taking limits as ##h\to0##, ##(1)## reads $$|\pmb{x}'(t)-\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{x}(t))|\leq\varepsilon\quad\text{when }t\in I.\tag2$$

The following theorem gives an estimate of how the difference between exact and approximate solutions propagates with ##t##. I state it without proof:

Theorem 1. Assume that ##\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{x})## is continuous in ##\Omega\subseteq \mathbf{R}\times\mathbf{R}^n## and satisfies the Lipschitz condition $$|\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{x})-\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{y})|\leq L|\pmb{x}-\pmb{y}|, \quad (t,\pmb{x}),(t,\pmb{y})\in\Omega.\tag3$$ Let ##\pmb{\tilde{x}}(t)## be an ##\varepsilon##-approximate and ##\pmb{x}(t)## and exact solution of ##\pmb{x}'=\pmb{f}(t,\pmb{x})## in ##\Omega## when ##t\in I##. For an arbitrary point ##t_0## in ##I## we then have $$|\pmb{\tilde{x}}(t)-\pmb{x}|\leq |\pmb{\tilde{x}}(t_0)-\pmb{x}(t_0)|e^{L|t-t_0|}+\frac{\varepsilon}{L}(e^{L|t-t_0|}-1),\quad t\in I.\tag4$$

Note that the first term on the right-hand side of ##(4)## vanishes if both ##\pmb{\tilde{x}}## and ##\pmb x## are equal at ##t_0##. Now consider the following example:

Example 1. (##n=1##) Consider the differential equation ##x'=3x^{2/3}##. The function ##\tilde{x}(t)\equiv 10^{-6}## is an ##\varepsilon##-approximate solution for ##\varepsilon=3\cdot10^{-4}## by ##(2)##, since $$|\tilde{x}'(t)-3\tilde{x}(t)^{2/3}|=3\left(10^{-6}\right)^{2/3}=3\cdot10^{-4}.\tag5$$ The exact solution of the initial value problem ##x'=3x^{2/3},\ x(0)=10^{-6}## is ##x(t)=\left(t+\frac{1}{100}\right)^3##. For ##t=1## we have $$x(1)\approx1.03,\quad \tilde{x}(1)=10^{-6}.\tag6$$

Remark. Check that ##(4)## is in agreement with example ##1##. Note that ##L## there is a large number, of magnitude ##200##.

In the example, we have that ##\tilde{x}(0)=x(0)=10^{-6}##, ##\varepsilon=3\cdot10^{-4}## and ##L=200##, so ##(4)## reads, for ##t=1##, $$|\tilde{x}(1)-x(1)|\leq\frac{3\cdot10^{-4}}{200}e^{200|1-0|}\approx 10^{81},\tag7$$ which is huge number compared to ##\tilde{x}(1)-x(1)\approx1.03##. Can this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that the Lipschitz constant [itex]L[/itex] must satisfy [tex]
L \geq \sup\left\{\left|\frac{f(x) - f(y)}{x - y}\right| : (x,y) \in \Omega^2, x \neq y\right\}.[/tex] (If [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable, then we have [tex]
\lim_{x\to y} \left| \frac{f(x) - f(y)}{x - y}\right| = |f'(y)|[/tex] and we would also require [itex]L \geq \sup |f'(x)|[/itex].) For [itex]f(x) = 3x^{2/3}[/itex] with [itex]f'(x) = 2x^{-1/3}[/itex] and [itex]\Omega = [10^{-6},1][/itex] this leads to a large Lipschitz constant on the order of 200 and a not particularly helpful bound on [itex]|x(t) - \tilde x(t)|[/itex] near [itex]t = 1[/itex]; I'm sure this was the point of the example.

Likes psie

1. What is the purpose of error estimates in approximate solutions?

Error estimates in approximate solutions are used to quantify the difference between the exact solution and the approximate solution obtained through numerical methods. They provide a measure of the accuracy and reliability of the numerical solution.

2. How are error estimates calculated?

Error estimates are calculated by comparing the approximate solution with the exact solution, typically through the use of mathematical formulas or algorithms. These calculations take into account factors such as discretization error, truncation error, and round-off error.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of error estimates?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of error estimates, including the choice of numerical method, the level of discretization, and the complexity of the problem being solved. Additionally, rounding errors and computational limitations can also impact the accuracy of error estimates.

4. Can error estimates be used to improve the accuracy of approximate solutions?

Yes, error estimates can be used to guide the refinement of numerical methods and improve the accuracy of approximate solutions. By identifying areas of high error, adjustments can be made to the numerical method to reduce the overall error in the solution.

5. Are error estimates always reliable?

While error estimates provide valuable information about the accuracy of approximate solutions, they are not always completely reliable. In some cases, they may underestimate or overestimate the true error. It is important to consider the limitations and assumptions of the error estimation method being used.