1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditions for a function to be constant

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a, b and c are nonzero distinct real numbers and c > 0. The even function given by:

f(x) = (ax + b)/(x + c)

is constant for -c < x < c and it's value is

(i) a + b; (ii) a + c; (iii) c; (iv) b; (v) a

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so first I solved for x but got two different answers because the function is even:

x = (b - f(x)c)/(f(x) - a) and x = (b - f(x)c)/(a - f(x))

Then I wanted to check the conditions on f(x) for -c < x < c:

-c < (b - f(x)c)/(f(x) - a)

But I don't know how to proceed, because I want to divide both sides by (f(x) - a) and I don't know if it's a negative number or not. What should I do here? How does the information given in the problem statement help me at this point? Am I taking a wrong approach at this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the function is constant, you cannot solve for x - by definition, all x-values give the same f(x).

With arbitrary a,b,c, the function will not be constant - you can use the information "function is constant" to find a relation between those parameters. If you can use derivatives, they can give you that relation (hint: what is the derivative of a constant function?). Alternatively, consider x=0 and x=c/2 or similar values. f(x) has to be the same for both x-values.

If you have that relation and use it in your definition of f(x), you'll get the result.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You get a relation among a,b,c from the condition that the function is even, that is f(x)=f(-x).

ehild

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4
    Also, does x < y > z imply z < x < y?

EDIT: I mean if x < y and y is a variable; does that imply that x is less than the smallest value y can take on?

I have that if x > 4 than 2 < (x^2)/2 - 6 so if y < (x^2)/2 - 6 does that mean y < 2?

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

4 < 6 > 5
    But not 5 < 4 < 6.

That does not make sense.

No, unless you have "y < (x^2)/2 - 6 for all x>4"

7. Oct 28, 2012 #6

Mark44

You shouldn't write stuff like x < y > z. Do you mean x < y AND y > z?

The notation a < b < c is shorthand for a < b AND b < c, and means that b lies between a and c.

8. Oct 28, 2012 #7
    Okay. So if I have to prove something like: if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12.

Can I say that the statement also implies that if x^2 - 2y > 12 then x > 4 and y < 2? Or that if x^2 - 2y > 12 and x > 4 then y < 2? Maybe I can prove all that but is that implied in the original statement? If not, how can I prove or disprove something like that?

9. Oct 28, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

@V0ODO0CH1LD: Is that related to your original question in any way?

That is true as x^2 - 2y > 16 - 2*2 = 12

x=0, y=-7 is a counterexample.

That statement is true as x^2-2y < 16-2y, and 16-2y > 12 implies y < 2. But you cannot conclude it from the original statement alone.

"if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12"
    directly implies
    "if not x^2 - 2y > 12, then (not x>4) or (not y<2)"
    which can be re-written as
    "if x^2-2y <= 12, then x<=4 or y>=2"
    and nothing else.

10. Oct 28, 2012 #9
    Yeah, I was just using something else to better exemplify what I was having trouble with. But thanks, you really helped out! Just one thing; is that method you used to prove that if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12 always valid?

11. Oct 28, 2012 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Which method? "Using inequalities"? If you do it right, you can always use them.

12. Oct 28, 2012 #11

Mark44

As mfb said, it's just properties of inequalities.

If x > 4 and y < 2, then x2 > 16 and 2y < 4 ##\Leftrightarrow## 2y + 12 < 16
    Hence x2 > 2y + 12, or equivalently, x2 - 2y > 12.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook