1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction and convection- processes understanding

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I shall be grateful if someone can throw light on the heat transfer processes taking place through in this very simple example.

Consider the attached image (pdf). See figure (c) which I have also marked in red block. It is pot lying on a hot plate.

I want to know the heat transfer processes taking place in this mechanism.

1) Firstly, the vessel is heated through the hot plate
    2) Heat travels from the hot place to the bottom of the vessel
    3) IS this process conduction that is taking place between the hot plate and the bottom of the vessel ?
    4) Then the heat travels from the bottom of the vessel to the fluid (Assuming the vessel is filled with fluid). IS this process natural convection as the fluid rises up by buoyancy?

Are all my points 1,2,3,4 correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This is very similar to your previous thread(s). Are these questions for schoolwork?

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    No.

I'm doing a self study course on heat transfer as I need it for a purpose/

The previous threads were on radiation and then thermal resistance.

The above questions weren't there.

5. Jun 8, 2015 #4

berkeman

Even self-study work should go in the Homework Help forums. I will move this there and reply...

6. Jun 8, 2015 #5

berkeman

-1- Yes
    -2- Yes
    -3- Yes
    -4- Sort of. The heat is conducted to the liquid at the bottom (and sides) of the vessel, and then "advection" is the process that moves heat through the liquid (I believe). Then also convection is the process that transfers heat from the liquid to the air at the surface of the liquid.

Please have a look at the wikipedia page for more details and a more precise description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted