1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conic Equation using a Quadratic Form

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x12+x1x2+2x22=8

a) Write the equation using a quadratic form i.e. [itex]\underline{x}[/itex]TA[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=8

b)Find the Matrix Q such that the transformation [itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex] diagonalises A and reduces the quadratic form to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1,y2)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex]
    [itex]\underline{X}[/itex]TA[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=8

3. The attempt at a solution

For question b), I got the A matrix as [1 1;0 2] or [1 0.5;0.5 2] *sorry, don't know how to use the matrix operator so I've written it matlab style*.

I used the first matrix to give a better looking eigenvalues, which resulted in 2 and 1. From the values, I got a vector of [1;0] and [1;1]

Using the vectors, I got a Q matrix of [1 0; 1/sqrt(2) 1/sqrt(2)]
    and using [itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex], I got
    2.707y12+2.707y1y2+y22 which I'm not even sure if its right.

Could someone please assist me in tackling this question?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the matrix here is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0.5 \\ 0.5 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The first matrix you give is wrong. In order to be certain that there are eigenvalues, you must have a symmetric matrix. You don't want "better looking" eigenvalues, you want the right eigenvalues!

Finally, the problem asked you to "Find the Matrix Q such that the transformation X=QY diagonalises A reduces the quadratic form to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1,y2)" but your final result is NOT in standard form.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Got it! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook