Conic Equation using a Quadratic Form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix Q in order to diagonalize and reduce the quadratic form of an equation, given coordinates (x1, x2), to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1, y2). This involves using a symmetric matrix and finding the correct eigenvalues to determine the Q matrix. The final result should be in standard form in terms of coordinates (y1, y2).
Apple&Orange

Homework Statement

x12+x1x2+2x22=8

a) Write the equation using a quadratic form i.e. [itex]\underline{x}[/itex]TA[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=8

b)Find the Matrix Q such that the transformation [itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex] diagonalises A and reduces the quadratic form to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1,y2)

Homework Equations

[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex]
[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]TA[itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=8

The Attempt at a Solution

For question b), I got the A matrix as [1 1;0 2] or [1 0.5;0.5 2] *sorry, don't know how to use the matrix operator so I've written it MATLAB style*.

I used the first matrix to give a better looking eigenvalues, which resulted in 2 and 1. From the values, I got a vector of [1;0] and [1;1]

Using the vectors, I got a Q matrix of [1 0; 1/sqrt(2) 1/sqrt(2)]
and using [itex]\underline{X}[/itex]=Q[itex]\underline{Y}[/itex], I got
2.707y12+2.707y1y2+y22 which I'm not even sure if its right.

Could someone please assist me in tackling this question?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the matrix here is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0.5 \\ 0.5 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The first matrix you give is wrong. In order to be certain that there are eigenvalues, you must have a symmetric matrix. You don't want "better looking" eigenvalues, you want the right eigenvalues!

Finally, the problem asked you to "Find the Matrix Q such that the transformation X=QY diagonalises A reduces the quadratic form to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1,y2)" but your final result is NOT in standard form.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, the matrix here is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0.5 \\ 0.5 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The first matrix you give is wrong. In order to be certain that there are eigenvalues, you must have a symmetric matrix. You don't want "better looking" eigenvalues, you want the right eigenvalues!

Finally, the problem asked you to "Find the Matrix Q such that the transformation X=QY diagonalises A reduces the quadratic form to standard form in terms of coordinates (y1,y2)" but your final result is NOT in standard form.

Got it! Thanks!

1. What is a conic equation using a quadratic form?

A conic equation using a quadratic form is a type of equation that represents a conic section, such as a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola. It is written in the form Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, and C are constants and x and y are variables.

2. What are the different types of conic sections?

The different types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These are all formed when a plane intersects a cone at different angles.

3. How do you graph a conic equation using a quadratic form?

To graph a conic equation using a quadratic form, you can use a graphing calculator or plot points by choosing values for x and solving for y. You can also rearrange the equation to solve for y in terms of x and then use the slope and y-intercept to graph the equation.

4. What is the focus-directrix property of a conic section?

The focus-directrix property of a conic section states that for any point on the conic section, the distance to the focus is equal to the distance to the directrix. This property is used to define and graph conic sections.

5. How is the eccentricity of a conic section related to its shape?

The eccentricity of a conic section is a measure of how elongated or flattened the shape is. It is calculated by dividing the distance between the foci by the length of the major axis. The closer the eccentricity is to 1, the more elongated the shape is, while a value closer to 0 indicates a more circular shape.