Conics- Word problem with ellipses.

In summary, an ellipse is a curved shape formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. Its equation is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center, 'a' is the distance to the vertices on the x-axis, and 'b' is the distance to the vertices on the y-axis. To solve word problems, identify the given information and use the equation to find the unknown variables, and draw a diagram. Ellipses have practical uses in satellite orbits, planetary orbits, and architecture. To graph an ellipse, plot the center, vertices, and foci, and draw a smooth curve connecting the points.
Kyriakos1
Hi. I am given the following problem. A small bridge is shaped like a semi-ellipse. Given that its maximum height is 3m and that its foci are located 4m from the centre find the height of the bridge at a distance of 2m from its edge.

So the problem give me the values b= 3 and c=4. With this we can find a. a^2= c^2 + b^2. 16 + 9 = 25 so a = 5. From there though I am stuck.. what does 2m from the edge represent? 2m away from from vertices (-5,0) and/or (5,0)? and how do I find the height if that is the case?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kyriakos said:
Hi. I am given the following problem. A small bridge is shaped like a semi-ellipse. Given that its maximum height is 3m and that its foci are located 4m from the centre find the height of the bridge at a distance of 2m from its edge.

So the problem give me the values b= 3 and c=4. With this we can find a. a^2= c^2 + b^2. 16 + 9 = 25 so a = 5. From there though I am stuck.. what does 2m from the edge represent? 2m away from from vertices (-5,0) and/or (5,0)?
Hi Kyriakos, and welcome to MHB! Yes, 2m from the edge must mean 2m from a vertex. So the $x$-coordinate will be $\pm3$.

Kyriakos said:
and how do I find the height if that is the case?
You know that $a=5$ and $b=3$, so you should be able to write down the equation of the ellipse. Then you want to find the $y$-coordinate (the height) when $x = \pm3$.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of conic section that is formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. It is a curved shape that resembles a flattened circle.

2. How do you write the equation of an ellipse?

The standard equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, 'a' is the distance from the center to the vertices along the x-axis, and 'b' is the distance from the center to the vertices along the y-axis.

3. How do you solve word problems involving ellipses?

To solve a word problem involving ellipses, you will need to identify the given information and use the standard equation to set up and solve for the unknown variables. It is important to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and label the key points on the ellipse.

4. What are the real-life applications of ellipses?

Ellipses have many practical uses, such as in the design of satellite orbits, the shape of planetary orbits, and in the construction of bridges and arches. They can also be found in nature, such as the shape of an egg or the path of a hurricane.

5. How do you graph an ellipse?

To graph an ellipse, plot the center point and then use the values of 'a' and 'b' to mark the vertices along the x and y axes. Then, use those points to draw a smooth curve connecting them. You can also plot the foci, which are the two points inside the ellipse that are equidistant from each vertex.