Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consequence of light pointing towards a blackhole

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    hi guys, i have an elementary question about the blackhole..recently i have read in a science magazine that even the lights from other stars can not reach to the blackhole ( event horizon) rather bends in other direction due to its gravitational force..now my question is if i point a light source towards a blackhole , will it not hit the blackhole (event horizon ) and never return to me ? or it will just bend tangent to the horizon and go to some other space ...

previously i thought blackholes just grab light and never returns it ...but grabs actually...is it wrong thinking ?
    plz help me
    regards

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You had it right: the light will enter the black hole and never return, if it is pointed right at the black hole. If the light is pointed next to the black hole, it may loop back around and return to you (or go in another direction).

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    Check out Einstein rings for the gravitational lensing effects on what Black Holes do to light that isn't quite caught in it's maw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_ring

5. May 15, 2013 #4
    thanks a lot.. now i can ask the author of the paper how he mentioned it ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook