Consequences of Being Banned on PF Forum

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the consequences of being banned from the PF forum. Banned members cannot create threads, post messages, or chat in private messages. The conversation also touches on the topic of banned members still being able to view their own chat messages, but not have access to the forum. The conversation also expresses differing opinions on the banning policy, with some feeling it is too strict and others believing it is necessary to maintain a high quality of discussion on the forum.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I've seen some usernames stroke out. Banned?
Yes, they are.
What are the consequences of being banned?
I've been coresponding with a banned member.
1: Can they create a thread? I don't think so
2: Can they post a message? I don't think so, but can they?
3: Can they chat in private message?
Just want to know :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
1: Can they create a thread? I don't think so
2: Can they post a message? I don't think so, but can they?
3: Can they chat in private message?
They cannot do those things. There would be no point in banning users if they could.

mfb said:
They cannot do those things. There would be no point in banning users if they could.
But...
https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/greeting-for-a-new-member.81103/
If you're staff, you can see my chat.
Hmm.., he's just been a member, and get banned very early.
Perhaps he messaged me just before he gets banned.

Stephanus said:

I can't. Maybe PF gods like Greg can.

Stephanus said:
No we cannot.
Greg could access the database, but won't do that unless there are really urgent reasons or unless he is required to do so by law.
Stephanus said:
Perhaps he messaged me just before he gets banned.
Probably.

No, no. It's not important. There's nothing private in that chat. Just in case you're curious.
Okay. Because I've seen some member with their names stroke out. I didn't think of it until this Teo Del Fuego has strike in it, but yesterday he hadn't. That's why I search about stroke name.
Ryan42 stroke out, too. I think he/she is clever.

Okayy, mfb. Thanks for your confirmation.

jtbell said:
I can't. Maybe PF gods like Greg can.
Nope, it's not important. And I don't intend to report Teo, either. It's just that to prove you that he messaged me before his name stroke out.

I think the practice of banning is somewhat rash, understandable as it is to avoid cranks. Greg could soften it a little, I would appreciate if he did so,
as all new ideas can't be presented in Physics Forums, who in this way only permits discussions of old stablished ideas, whithout renovation.

Tollendal said:
I think the practice of banning is somewhat rash, understandable as it is to avoid cranks. Greg could soften it a little, I would appreciate if he did so,
as all new ideas can't be presented in Physics Forums, who in this way only permits discussions of old stablished ideas, whithout renovation.

This is false.

PF has many threads that discuss new ideas (have you looked?). It is just that they must first be published in a recognized peer-reviewed journal and NOT simply someone's brainchild that can't even make it into those journals. It takes NO knowledge to spew out "new ideas". How will this add to "renovation" (sic)?

PF has a very high signal-to-noise ratio, which is why it attracts many professionals in various fields. Changing this policy will diminish the very thing that makes PF unique and valuable. Why would we want to do that?

Zz.

Likes cnh1995, beamie564, jim mcnamara and 8 others
Tollendal said:
Although you may be able to see that a member has been banned you don't have the whole story leading up to the ban because you don't see the removed posts that led to the ban, the private messages we've exchanged with the offender, or the discussion among the mentors.

Except for the unambiguous cases (spambots, obvious and hopeless crackpottery with no interest in listening, personal insults) bans are almost always the result of multiple violations from a member who clearly understands the PF rules but refuses to obey them.

Likes gracy and berkeman
"BANNED" ANALOGY -- What good is a "black hole" if things went both IN and OUT?

Old Tele man said:
"BANNED" ANALOGY -- What good is a "black hole" if things went both IN and OUT?
But, Hawking Radiation goes out?

No, Hawking radiation is produced outside.
You can still see posts of banned members, but those are produced before the members are banned. No banned member can make new posts.

Likes gracy

1. What happens if I am banned on the PF Forum?

If you are banned on the PF Forum, your account will be suspended and you will no longer be able to access the forum or post any content.

2. How long does a ban on the PF Forum last?

The length of a ban on the PF Forum can vary depending on the severity of the violation. It can range from a temporary ban of a few days to a permanent ban.

3. Can I appeal a ban on the PF Forum?

Yes, you can appeal a ban on the PF Forum by contacting the forum moderators or administrators. They will review your case and make a decision on whether to lift the ban or not.

4. Will I lose all my previous posts and content if I am banned on the PF Forum?

Yes, if you are banned on the PF Forum, all of your previous posts and content will be removed from the forum.

5. Can I create a new account after being banned on the PF Forum?

No, creating a new account after being banned on the PF Forum is against the forum's rules and can result in a permanent ban.