1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy rollercoaster

1. Jul 9, 2006 #1
    I have a quetion that I worked out and would love to know if I worked it out alright. Here it goes...

A roller coaster of mass 80kg is moving with a speed of 20.0 m/s at position A with a height of 200m. There is no friction and g=10m/s^2.

So basically theres a diagram of a rollercoaster with different points and different heights.

What is the total energy of the rollercoaster at point A?

So, this is at the top of the rollercoaster, so I basically calculated the potential energy. (mass)*(g)*(height).

Next, what is the total energy of the roller coaster at point B, which has no height.

I calculated the kinetic energy 1/2(mass)(v)^2 and got 1600J

Did I do this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aren't you forgetting the initial kinetic energy? HINT: Is energy conserved?
  4. Jul 9, 2006 #3

Gold Member

Hello jhrnndz1,

you've missed that the roller coaster has kinetic energy at point A as well.

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4
    Energy conservation states that total potential + total kinetic = total energy, PE + KE = TE. For your question, TE at point A is 0.5(80)(20)^2 + 80(10)(200) = 176 KJ. At point B, when the roller coaster comes down, its TE is still the same as its PE is converted to KE, thus the roller coaster will have a greater KE, meaning more speed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?