Conservation of Momentum in Elastic Collision at Angles

In summary, the question asks what will happen to two stationary ball bearings (B and C) when they are hit by a moving ball bearing (A) with a velocity of 2ms-1 and a mass of 2kg. The attempted answer provided a calculation using the equations P=mv and E=0.5mv^2, but it was found to be incorrect as it did not conserve energy. The correct answer would involve using the conservation of energy equation.
nelson_qna

Homework Statement

If a Mass let's say a Ball Bearing A with a velocity of 2ms-1 and a mass of 2Kg hits two other ball bearing B & C which is not moving with ball bearing B & C each has a mass of 1kg each. What will happen to ball bearing B & C?

Please see attached picture i have the question and my attempt to answer it.

Homework Equations

P= MV

or

P = Mass BallA X Velocity BallA = Mass BallB X Velocity BallB + Mass BallC X Velocity BallC

And

E = 0.5M(V)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The collision is a Elastic Collision (The attempted answer is also in the picture.

After the collision Ball B & C will be ejected at 2ms-1 at a 45 degree angle from the point of impact with Ball A.

I know the answer is wrong as the conservation of energy is not being conserved in my answer. Can some one tell me how to answer this question correctly.

Thank you so very much.

Attachments

• Elastic Collision.jpg
    Elastic Collision.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nelson_qna! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

nelson_qna said:

Homework Statement

If a Mass let's say a Ball Bearing A with a velocity of 2ms-1 and a mass of 2Kg hits two other ball bearing B & C which is not moving with ball bearing B & C each has a mass of 1kg each. What will happen to ball bearing B & C?

Please see attached picture i have the question and my attempt to answer it.

Homework Equations

P= MV

or

P = Mass BallA X Velocity BallA = Mass BallB X Velocity BallB + Mass BallC X Velocity BallC

And

E = 0.5M(V)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The collision is a Elastic Collision (The attempted answer is also in the picture.

After the collision Ball B & C will be ejected at 2ms-1 at a 45 degree angle from the point of impact with Ball A.

I know the answer is wrong as the conservation of energy is not being conserved in my answer.
Okay, what equation does conservation of energy give you?
Can some one tell me how to answer this question correctly.

Thank you so very much.

1. What is conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles?

Conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. Elastic collisions are those in which kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total amount of energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of energy after the collision.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to elastic collisions at angles?

Conservation of momentum applies to elastic collisions at angles in the sense that the total momentum of the system, which is the sum of the momentums of all the objects involved, remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the vector sum of all the momentums before the collision is equal to the vector sum of all the momentums after the collision.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles?

The conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle at which the collision occurs. In a perfectly elastic collision, the masses and velocities of the objects are the only factors that affect the conservation of momentum.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total amount of energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of energy after the collision. Inelastic collisions, on the other hand, are those in which kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation.

5. How is the conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles used in real-world applications?

The conservation of momentum in elastic collisions at angles is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of airbags for cars, billiards and pool games, and in sports like baseball and tennis. It is also important in the study of particle physics and in understanding the behavior of objects in space.