Conservation of Momentum of a spring

In summary, the block slides across the box and is pushed against the spring. The spring exerts a force on the block and the block's velocity is v1 after the collision.
interxavier

Homework Statement

A hollow box, mass M, rests on a frictionless surface. Inside the box is a spring, spring constant k, attached to one wall. A block, mass m, is pushed against the spring so that it is compressed an amount A.
a. If after leaving the spring the block has velocity of magnitude v1, what will be the velocity of the box?
b. The block slides across and hits the opposite side of the box. Assuming this collision to be perfectly elastic, find the velocities of the box and te block after the collision.
c. What is v1?

Homework Equations

p = mv
m1*v1 + m2*v2 = m1*u1 + m2*u2

"u" is final velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost. I know the spring is going to exert a force on the box, so the box moves in the opposite direction. That's all I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know which one is correct so i will tell you two cases.(if some of them is correct)
1)I think that until the body leaves the spring we donnto have a conservation of momentum because the system Box-body(m) is not isolated as rhe force from spring ecxerts.When though the ball leaves the spring there is a conservation of momenum and then you can take the formula for the Box(M)-body(m).

2)If you take as your system Box-spring-body(m)
then the spring exert a force on the body and an opossite and equal force to the Box.So i theoritically believe that the velocity equation for the Box should be something like U=Umax*cos(ωt+φο) where ω^2=K/M.

The second case is very unlike to happen because the spring is fixed on the wall of the box so please try the fisrt case and let me know if i helped you or if i have written anything very stupid.

In both cases if you find the final speed of the mass(m) then you just use conservation of momentum

a) you have the formula right you just need to plug in the correct values and solve. We can say:
m1=m, the mass of the block
m2=M, the mass of the box
v1=0, they are assumed to be still to start with
v2=0, again they are not moving to start
u1=v1, the problem says the block's velocity is v1 after being pushed by the spring (be sure not to confuse this with v1 above)
u2 is the velocity of box that you are solving for

b) On this part you must use your conservation of momentum equation from "a" and the conservation of energy equation,
.5m1v12 + .5m2v22 = .5m1u12 + .5m2u22, since the collision is perfectly elastic. You will use the final velocities from problem "a" (u1 and u2) as your initial velocities(v1 and v2) in problem "b" as problem "b" is happening after problem "a". This should give you a system of equations that you can solve to obtain your new final velocities.

c) Here I assume they are talking about v1 from "a". If this is the case the easiest thing to do is use conservation of energy.
The energy imparted on the block by the spring is given by:
.5kx2 where,
k= spring constant
x=compression distance
all the energy will be kinetic so set this equal to the formula for the kinetic energy of the block, .5mv2, and you will be able to solve for velocity.

Hope this helps.

1. What is the conservation of momentum of a spring?

The conservation of momentum of a spring is a physical law that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. In simpler terms, it means that the total momentum of a spring (including its mass and velocity) will remain the same unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the conservation of momentum of a spring apply in everyday life?

The conservation of momentum of a spring applies in many everyday situations, such as a car crash or a game of billiards. In both scenarios, the total momentum of the objects involved remains constant, even though there may be changes in the individual momentums of the objects.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum of a spring?

The conservation of momentum of a spring is affected by the mass and velocity of the spring, as well as any external forces acting upon it. Additionally, the stiffness of the spring and the distance it is stretched or compressed can also affect its momentum.

4. How is the conservation of momentum of a spring related to Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This law applies to the conservation of momentum of a spring, as any external force acting on the spring will result in an equal and opposite reaction force, thus conserving the total momentum of the system.

5. Can the conservation of momentum of a spring be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum of a spring is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. If the total momentum of a spring changes, it means that there must be an external force acting on the system, as the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.