Conservation of momentum of collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
sander2798
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,

I have a little physics space problem I can't manage to solve, so I hoped someone would be able to help me here.

This is the problem:
We have an object with mass m and speed v1 approaching an other object with mass M and speed U1. The two objects are moving in opposite direction directly towards each other. After the collision the objects are moving with the following speeds in the same direction, because mass M is a million times bigger than m and therefore only get's slowed down. Mass m1 with speed v2, and mass M with speed U2. What is the equation for the conservation of momentum for this collision?

Does anyone know the answer on this? I'd be really thankful if anyone is able to help me.

Sander.
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sander2798 said:
Hey everyone,

I have a little physics space problem I can't manage to solve, so I hoped someone would be able to help me here.

This is the problem:
We have an object with mass m and speed v1 approaching an other object with mass M and speed U1. The two objects are moving in opposite direction directly towards each other. After the collision the objects are moving with the following speeds in the same direction, because mass M is a million times bigger than m and therefore only get's slowed down. Mass m1 with speed v2, and mass M with speed U2. What is the equation for the conservation of momentum for this collision?

Does anyone know the answer on this? I'd be really thankful if anyone is able to help me.

Sander.

Mu1-mv1 = Mu2+mv2
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sander2798
virgil1612 said:
Mu1-mv1 = Mu2+mv2
Thanks a lot, appearantly there was a mistake in my book, thanks.