Conservative physical quantities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of physical quantities, specifically with regards to the Hamiltonian and vector operators such as angular momentum and spin. It is mentioned that the Hamiltonian determines whether an operator is conserved in time, and that the components of a conserved vector operator will also be conserved. The conversation ends with a clarification that the components of an operator will also commute with the Hamiltonian if the operator itself commutes with the Hamiltonian.
KostasV
Hello ppl !
If i find that a physical quantity (lets say angular momentum operator vector L) is conservative (this means [H,L]=0 - H=hamiltonian ) then its 3 components Lx , Ly and Lz are being conserved too ?
That happens with every conservative vector operator ? Like spin vector S and his components?
I am confused ... :S

Physics news on Phys.org
The constants of the motion is dependent on the Hamiltonian, for simple Hamiltonian such as hydrogen atom whose potential is symmetric, angular momentum L and its components are indeed conserved in time.
KostasV said:
That happens with every conservative vector operator ?
Its the Hamiltonian which decides whether an operator is conserved in time or not.

blue_leaf77 said:
The constants of the motion is dependent on the Hamiltonian, for simple Hamiltonian such as hydrogen atom whose potential is symmetric, angular momentum L and its components are indeed conserved in time.

Its the Hamiltonian which decides whether an operator is conserved in time or not.
i am concerned about the components !
Ok, let's say that i find that [H,L]=0 (so L -angular momentum vector- is being conserved) ! Do i have to find the commutators [H,Lx] , [H,Ly] , [H,Lz] or i am sure that they will all be zero due to the fact that [H,L]=0 ?

In that case, where the one which commutes the Hamiltonian is the vector L, the components all commute with the Hamiltonian as well.

Likes KostasV
blue_leaf77 said:
In that case, where the one which commutes the Hamiltonian is the vector L, the components all commute with the Hamiltonian as well.
Thank you very much for the help ;)

Related to Conservative physical quantities

What are conservative physical quantities?

Conservative physical quantities are properties of a system that do not change over time, regardless of the path taken by the system. These quantities are conserved, meaning that their total value remains constant.

What are some examples of conservative physical quantities?

Some examples of conservative physical quantities include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These quantities are conserved in closed systems, meaning that they cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms.

How are conservative physical quantities related to the laws of physics?

Conservative physical quantities are closely related to fundamental laws of physics, such as the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. These laws state that the total amount of energy or momentum in a system must remain constant, regardless of any internal changes.

Are all physical quantities conservative?

No, not all physical quantities are conservative. In fact, there are many properties of a system that are not conserved, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy. These quantities can change over time and are not governed by the laws of conservation.

Why are conservative physical quantities important in science?

Conservative physical quantities are important because they allow us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems in the natural world. By knowing that certain properties, such as energy and momentum, are conserved, we can better understand and model the behavior of complex systems.