Constant thermodynamic potentials examples

In summary, the physical interpretation of dS=0 is that the volume of the solid is constant. The physical interpretation of dP=0 is that the pressure is constant. The physical interpretation of dG=0 is that the temperature is constant. The physical interpretation of dF=0 is that the Force is constant.
dperkovic

Homework Statement

Specify at least two ( physical or chemical), real world, processes for each of this cases:

a) Internal energy is constant
b) Entalpy is constant
c) Gibbs free energy is constant
d) Helmholtz free energy is constant

Homework Equations

a) dU = TdS - pDV = 0
b) dH = TdS + VdP = 0
c) dG = dH - tdS = 0, or dG =vDp -SdT = 0 ?
d) dF = -(pdV + SdT ) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

b) Joulle-Thompson effekt

...and this is all what I found...Thanks for any help !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not going to help you learn if people just provide the examples for you, so let's try this tack: what's the physical interpretation of [itex]dS=0[/itex]? How about [itex]dP=0[/itex], and the others? Can you brainstorm some cases where these restrictions apply? For example, which state variables are constant when an exposed solid melts to form a liquid?

Mapes said:
It's not going to help you learn if people just provide the examples for you, so let's try this tack: what's the physical interpretation of [itex]dS=0[/itex]? How about [itex]dP=0[/itex], and the others? Can you brainstorm some cases where these restrictions apply? For example, which state variables are constant when an exposed solid melts to form a liquid?

Maybe it is true, but I think that knowing real world examples help me to better understand thermodynamics. Than, I can compare "mathematics" with real world.

dperkovic said:
Maybe it is true, but I think that knowing real world examples help me to better understand thermodynamics. Than, I can compare "mathematics" with real world.
This stand for constant gibbs, am I right ?

dperkovic said:

Sorry, we don't provide answers to homework-type questions. If you show your own effort, however, you'll likely get helpful comments.

Mapes said:
Sorry, we don't provide answers to homework-type questions. If you show your own effort, however, you'll likely get helpful comments.

I'll try, thank you anyway

1. What is a constant thermodynamic potential?

A constant thermodynamic potential is a quantity that remains unchanged in a thermodynamic system, regardless of the changes in the system's state. It is a fundamental property that helps describe the behavior of a system.

2. What are some examples of constant thermodynamic potentials?

Some examples of constant thermodynamic potentials include temperature, pressure, volume, and chemical potential. These quantities can be used to describe the state of a system and predict its behavior.

3. How are constant thermodynamic potentials related to each other?

Constant thermodynamic potentials are related to each other through mathematical equations known as thermodynamic relations. These relations describe how changes in one potential affect the values of other potentials in a system.

4. Why are constant thermodynamic potentials important in science?

Constant thermodynamic potentials are important in science because they help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. They provide a framework for studying energy and matter and are essential in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

5. How do constant thermodynamic potentials relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Constant thermodynamic potentials are directly related to the laws of thermodynamics, which are fundamental principles governing the behavior of energy in a system. The first and second laws of thermodynamics are based on the concept of thermodynamic potentials and help us understand the flow and transformation of energy in a system.