Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing a Toffoli gate with qubit gates?

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    I'm looking through Nielson's book on quantum computation and information and in part of it he says that any $C^2(U)$ gate can be constructed from two qubit and one qubit gates. I can't figure out how to do this, or how to verify it (fig 4.8 in his book)
    I've attached a photo of the diagram:
    http://i.minus.com/i1JWvF4bKP1N1.png [Broken]

Also: Is there an easier way to do this than multipyling 8x8 matricies? Right now I represent the first gate as
    [itex] I_1 \otimes\begin{pmatrix}
    I & 0 \\
    0 & V
    \end{pmatrix}_{23}[/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix in for one qubit, and [itex]V[/itex] satisfies [itex]V^2 = U[/itex]. [itex]U[/itex] is the unitary matrix being applied.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2
    I think it's easier to look at input combinations of 00 01 10 and 11 for the first two qubits. You can easily see that only for 11 do you have V^2 acting on the target. 00 does nothing to the target qubit while 01 and 10 have V and V-dagger acting in succession which is an identity operation.

That verifies it, but it doesn't help you construct it. I'm not too sure how one would think of a systematic way to go from the circuit on the left to the one on the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook