Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contemporary musicians you've probably never heard of

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Just as the title suggests, who are some good modern-day musicians that the general public is completely unaware of? I'm tired of hearing the same artists time and time again on the radio and would like to have some diversity to my playlists. So, who are you listening to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like the band Pinback.

Most of my friends don't know who they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    If you find the beginning difficult, skip to 3'45. The improvising singer Médéric Collignon is really a trumpet player.

I safely consider it unlikely you've heard of those guys. I do not guarantee you'll enjoy.

Also Avishai Cohen

and the bad plus

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    How modern? I do not really know many newer bands, that is bands from after the 90's.

A band that used to be all but unknown is Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. I understand that some of their stuff has made it into Guitar Hero so they are probably better known now. They play what is discribed as "horror punk" inspired, mostly, by H.P. Lovecraft with songs such as "Goin' Down to Dunwich"(not based on "goin down to georgia"), "Innsmouth Look", and "Shoggoths Away".
    I'd find you a youtube video but I am on my mobile right now. Maybe I can come up with more when I get home.

6. Jul 23, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook