1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuing Ed - Learn Java or Visual Basic

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    Hey all,

So I just graduated community college with an associates degree. The program is essentially a chemical technician program. I'm currently employed at an agricultural company, but the job is not very mentally stimulating. I was thinking of pursuing a continuing education program through night classes and distance ed from the same community college to pad my resume a bit and gain some additional skills. It's a programmer/analyst course which involves some SQL programming, and choosing between Java or Visual Basic. I've done a little Java before so I was leaning towards that. Is there any big advantage to learning one or the other (Java vs VisualBasic)?
    Also, has anyone who has worked in a laboratory environment found SQL useful when dealing with LIMS (laboratory information management systems)?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the job but I think Java is a better choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook