Contraction of the Bianchi identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bianchi identity and how to get from it to the Einstein tensor. The process involves performing a contraction and relabeling indices. The importance of mastering basic concepts in tensor analysis is also emphasized.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

I've been given the Bianchi identity in the form

##\nabla _{\kappa} R^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\sigma} + \nabla _{\rho} R^{\mu}_{\nu\sigma \kappa} + \nabla _{\sigma} R^{\mu}_{\nu\kappa\rho} =0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to get from this to the Einstein tensor, I've seen online that you perform a contraction so you get the Ricci tensor and go from there. No two of my indices are the same though, can I just relabel an index? How does the contraction work? Apologies, the bottom three indices should be offset to the right but I can't make latex do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can put a contravariant index to the samd as a covariant one and sum over them. This is what it means to make a contraction and it results in a tensor of two ranks lower. The canonical example of this being the product of a tangent and a dual vector.

To be honest, if you are expecting to learn more advanced subjects and applications, you should make sure that you master the basics first. Based on your question, I would suggest going back to repeat the basics of tensor analysis rather than trying to understand curvature and the Einstein tensor. It will serve you better in the long run.

Likes whatisreality
When I say how does the contraction work, that makes it sound worse than it is, I think. I do know what a contraction is, what I wanted to double check is that I can relabel a contravariant index to be the same as the covariant. I'll definitely go back and re-read my notes though, it's always worthwhile. Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Last edited:

1. What is the Bianchi identity?

The Bianchi identity is a mathematical equation that relates the curvature of a space to its metric and its connection. It is named after Italian mathematician Luigi Bianchi, who first discovered it in 1902.

2. What does the contraction of the Bianchi identity mean?

The contraction of the Bianchi identity refers to taking the trace of the equation, which results in a simpler equation that relates the Ricci curvature tensor to the Einstein tensor. This contraction is important in general relativity, as it is used to derive Einstein's field equations.

3. How is the Bianchi identity used in physics?

The Bianchi identity is an important tool in analyzing the behavior of spacetime in the framework of general relativity. It allows for the calculation of the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy, and is used in the Einstein field equations to describe the gravitational effects of these sources.

4. What is the significance of the Bianchi identity?

The Bianchi identity is a fundamental equation in general relativity that helps us understand the relationship between the geometry of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. It is essential in deriving the equations that govern the behavior of gravity and has been used to make many predictions and observations in astrophysics and cosmology.

5. Are there any other applications of the Bianchi identity?

Yes, the Bianchi identity has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and differential topology. It is also used in other branches of physics, including electromagnetism and quantum field theory, to study the behavior of fields in curved spacetime. Additionally, it has been used in the development of mathematical models for fluid dynamics and elasticity.