Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contrapositive proof of irrational relations

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    I'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational thenI'm confused with a question and wondered if anyone could help explain where I need to go...

let x ε R. Prove that x is irrational then ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) is irrational.

I've learnt that this is a proof by contrapositive so set ((5*x^(1/3))-2)/7) to be rational and hence a/b with a,b ε Z and b ≠ 0, and there for x is rational.

But I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I rearrange to find for x? x = ((7a - 10b)/5b)^3

But this is still raational isn't it? Where is the contradiction?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    Call that big expression y, and solve for x. If y is rational, what does that tell you about x?

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    I thought I did solve for x. If y is rational then x is rational but where is the contradiction? I don't see

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4
    Ah, I missed that step in your initial post.

Remember that contradiction is different from contraposition. For contraposition, you're actually already done.

Contraposition takes advantage of the fact that a->b is equivalent to (not b) -> (not a).

You showed that y is rational implies that x is rational. Therefore, you've shown that x is irrational implies y is irrational.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the rational numbers are closed under multiplication,division, and addition.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6

Deveno

Science Advisor

by assumption a, and b are INTEGERS, with b non-zero.

well if a and b are integers, then surely k = 7a - 10b is also an integer.

thus k3 and 125b3 are also integers, and moreover, 125b3 ≠ 0.

thus x = k3/(125b3) is rational.

but x was assumed irrational, contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook