1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controls VS. Communications (EE)

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hey all. I will get straight to the point. I am about to get into graduate school and I have the option to choose between Controls & Robotics OR Communication & Signal Processing. I am kind of not sure what to pursue, the reason is because I feel if I choose one I will unfortunately lose the opportunity to learn the other. I have just recently become interested in HAM radio, which coincides with "Communication and Signal Processing." But I also loved my controls class I took as an undergraduate (also who doesn't love robotics). I have heard that as a Controls major it would be easier to find a job. I feel Communication and Signal Processing is easier to self study than Controls, if that is the case then I think I should go for Controls, but I am not sure of this...

What should I consider? Any ideas? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 9, 2014 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

At least at my company there are more communication and signal processing jobs...

That being said i'm sure there are plenty of jobs in both disciplines. I would go with the field you are more passionate about.

5. Jul 9, 2014 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I agree with Don. The fields are pretty different. Which one excites you more? I'm not sure I agree communications is easier for self-study. Once you get beyond the basics the math gets really hairy.

6. Jul 9, 2014 #5

perplexabot

Gold Member

Thank you all for the replies... I haven't decided yet, and I have to choose soon. I'm thinking that Communication and Signal Processing is a larger field, so maybe better for me? Do the two fields overlap at some point?

7. Jul 11, 2014 #6

DLX

There is always some overlap but in this case communications is restricted to electrical/electronic circuitry whereas control is a much more generalized field as control systems cut across branches.

8. Jul 13, 2014 #7

perplexabot

Gold Member

I will go with Controls and Robotics. As DLX pointed out it is a generalized field that can be used to explain (on a more general level) a variety of other fields.

Also going through the course list for each field kind of helped me out. Thanks again to everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook