Convergence of a Series: Is My Approximation Accurate Enough?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter ardentmed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ardentmed
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I just wanted to run a quick series question by you guys just to confirm my answer. I'm doubting whether or not I should keep going or if S6 is enough.

View attachment 2804

I got S5 = -0.28347 and S6 = -0.28347, so that is where I concluded than Sn ~ -0.2835.

I would appreciate it if someone could look over this for me and tell me how I did.

Thanks in advance.
 
Attachments
  • sum.PNG
    sum.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 120
Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I just wanted to run a quick series question by you guys just to confirm my answer. I'm doubting whether or not I should keep going or if S6 is enough.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2804

I got S5 = -0.28347 and S6 = -0.28347, so that is where I concluded than Sn ~ -0.2835.

I would appreciate it if someone could look over this for me and tell me how I did.

Thanks in advance.

When you get the sum giving you the same digits up to your level of accuracy when you add more terms, then you have reached your approximation. So yes, what you have done is enough.