Conversion to fuel economy in equivalent MPG using kcal/h and mi/h

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy usage for walking and bicycling. For walking, the calculation shows that a car would have a fuel efficiency of 423.68 MPG. For bicycling, there is a question about whether the energy used by the cyclist should also be considered. The conversation concludes that it can be ignored as it would cancel out.
Mustard
Homework Statement
For saving energy, bicycling and walking are far more efficient means of transportation than is travel by automobile. For example, when riding at 10.0 mi/h, a cyclist uses food energy at a rate of about 400 kcal/h above what he would use if merely sitting still. (In exercise physiology, power is often measured in kcal/h rather than in watts. Here 1 kcal = 1 nutritionist’s Calorie = 4,186 J.) Walking at 3.00 mi/h requires about 220 kcal/h. It is interesting to compare these values with the energy consumption required for travel by car. Gasoline yields about 1.30 x 10^8 J/gal. Find the fuel economy in equivalent miles per gallon for a person (a) walking and (b) bicycling
Relevant Equations
3.00 mi/h = 220 kcal/h
10.0 mi/h = 400 kcal/h above the values of sitting still
1 kcal = 1 nutritionist’s Calorie = 4,186 J
Gasoline yield = 1.30 x 10^8 J/gal
So I'm guessing we need our end unit to be in MPG?
a) walking
( 220 kcal/ 1 hr )⋅ ( 1hr / 3 mile ) = 73 .3 kcal/mi⋅⋅
(73 .3 kcal/ 1 mile) ⋅ (4,186 J/1 kcal) = 3,06833.8 J/mi
(1.30 x 10^8 J/ 1 gal)(1 mile / 3,06833.8 J) = 423.68 MPG

b) bicycling

Not sure as it says,"...when riding at 10.0 mi/h, a cyclist uses food energy at a rate of about 400 kcal/h above what he would use if merely sitting still." So I am guessing I would need to get those values for sitting still and add them to get the cyclist values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) looks good to me. (Do you need to worry about significant figures in the answer?)

For part (b), does the driver of the car use food calories in addition to using gasoline energy?

TSny said:
Part (a) looks good to me. (Do you need to worry about significant figures in the answer?)

For part (b), does the driver of the car use food calories in addition to using gasoline energy?
I would assume the driver does?

Mustard said:
I would assume the driver does?
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
So I can ignore the above statement as the will basically cancel out ?

Yes.

Likes Mustard
TSny said:
Yes.
Thank you, I got it! (:

1. How do you convert kcal/h to MPG?

To convert from kcal/h to MPG, you can use the following formula: MPG = (kcal/h * 0.000002352) / (mi/h * 0.6214). This will give you the equivalent MPG value.

2. Can you explain the concept of fuel economy in equivalent MPG?

Fuel economy in equivalent MPG is a way to compare the energy efficiency of different types of fuels. It calculates the number of miles a vehicle can travel using the same amount of energy as one gallon of gasoline, by converting the energy units of other fuels to kcal/h and mi/h.

3. How do you convert mi/h to MPG?

To convert from mi/h to MPG, you can use the following formula: MPG = (kcal/h * 0.000002352) / (mi/h * 0.6214). This will give you the equivalent MPG value.

4. Is there a standard conversion factor for converting kcal/h to MPG?

Yes, the standard conversion factor for converting kcal/h to MPG is 0.000002352. This factor is based on the energy content of one gallon of gasoline, which is equivalent to 8,887 kcal.

5. Why is it important to convert to fuel economy in equivalent MPG?

Converting to fuel economy in equivalent MPG allows for a fair comparison of different types of fuels and their energy efficiency. It also helps consumers make informed decisions when choosing a vehicle or fuel type, and can contribute to reducing overall fuel consumption and emissions.