Converting 5 pounds of nitroglycerin to moles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ngu9997
Messages
27
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


5 lbs of nitroglycerin detonates. What is the total volume of the gases produced?

Homework Equations


PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the balance chemical equation of the decomposition of nitroglycerin and used stoichiometry to find the number of moles of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide added them all and put the number of moles into PV=nRT. The only thing I'm unsure about is how to convert 5 pounds of nitroglycerin into moles. I multiplied 5 pounds by 453 grams then divided by nitroglycerin's molar mass. Did i convert to moles correctly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ngu9997 said:
I multiplied 5 pounds by 453 grams then divided by nitroglycerin's molar mass. Did i convert to moles correctly?

Yes.