1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting CFM on an Anemometer help? 4.5 inch orifice on vacuum

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    I have an anemometer that I bought that does not have the ability to put in the ID of the orifice I am trying to measure. In this case it is a 4.5 inch orifice-stays the same for me 95 percent of the time. Does anyone know how I convert the reading manually so that I can get an accurate reading on my anemometer?

Below is the link to the meter I bought on ebay-it is a cps avm 03.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=88c820308fc348969bfbebe2f4e7378a&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D110905158318%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123 [Broken]

Thank you!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are asking how to calculate the volume per min given the diameter and velocity?

= area * velocity.

If you want it in cubic feet per min then the area needs to be in square feet and the velocity in feet per min.

The area is..

= ∏r2/144
    = 3.14 * (4.5/2)2/144
    = 0.11 square feet

So if the velocity is say 4 feet per second then the cfm is

= 0.11 * 4 * 60

If the anemometer reads in feet per min then you don't need to multiply by 60.

(Edit: I don't know how accurate you need the result but if the annemometer reads velocity in feet per min then it might be sufficient to just divide that by 10 and call it cfm)

All this assumes the anemometer doesn't block and reduce the airflow significantly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook