Converting kilometers to micrometers

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the conversion between microns and kilometers and how many microns make up 1 km using the prefixes for SI units. The final answer is 1 km equals 10^9 microns. The participants also mentioned the importance of practicing and studying to improve understanding in physics and calculus.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

how many microns make up 1 K.m

Homework Equations

prefixes for SI units

The Attempt at a Solution

i really can't attempt it because i have no idea what to do, i forgot how to do this stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you look up what a micron is first? Then km as well. And figure out how many of one is in the other?

ok dokie

afcwestwarrior said:
ok dokie

I'm starting to have problems taking you seriously.

one micron equals 10^-6 meters and 1 km equal 10^3 meters

10^9 microns equal 1 km

1,000m/1km * 1 micro u/1*10^-6=10^9

It equal 10^9 or 1,000,000,000

afcwestwarrior said:
10^9 microns equal 1 km

1,000m/1km * 1 micro u/1*10^-6=10^9

Sure thing. That wasn't so hard, was it?

No it wasn't. I'm very rusty on my physics and Calculus.

afcwestwarrior said:
No it wasn't. I'm very rusty on my physics and Calculus.

Practice makes perfect. You might try finding a book with solutions and practicing offline. I don't think all of these problems need posting.

What is the formula for converting kilometers to micrometers?

The formula for converting kilometers to micrometers is: 1 kilometer = 1,000,000 micrometers. This means that to convert kilometers to micrometers, you need to multiply the number of kilometers by 1,000,000.

How many micrometers are in 1 kilometer?

There are 1,000,000 micrometers in 1 kilometer. This conversion is based on the metric system, where 1 kilometer is equal to 1,000 meters, and 1 meter is equal to 1,000 millimeters, and so on.

Can kilometers and micrometers be converted directly without using a formula?

No, kilometers and micrometers cannot be converted directly without using a formula. A conversion factor is needed to convert between different units of measurement, and in this case, the conversion factor is 1,000,000.

What is the difference between kilometers and micrometers?

Kilometers and micrometers are units of length, but they differ in their scale. A kilometer is a larger unit, equal to 1,000 meters, while a micrometer is a smaller unit, equal to 0.000001 meters. This means that there are 1,000,000 micrometers in 1 kilometer.

Why would someone need to convert kilometers to micrometers?

Someone may need to convert kilometers to micrometers for various reasons, such as in scientific calculations or engineering projects that require precise measurements. It is also useful when working with very small distances, such as in nanotechnology or microbiology.