Converting Matter to Power: Calculating Mass for 3200W of Energy for 3 Days

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ethan_Tab
Messages
57
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


What mass of mater would be converted to energy to provide 3200W of Power for 3 days?

Homework Equations


P=E/t
E=mc2

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
E=P*t
Subbing mc2 for energy I get

mc2=P*t

m=P*t/c2

m=(3200W*3Days)/(9X1016m2/s2)

m= 1.066X10-13kg

This answer is incorrect.
What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of a watt?

Have you used consistent units, or did you just throw all your numbers in a big churn and crank out a meaningless answer?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ethan_Tab
I threw all my numbers in a big churn and cranked out a meaningless answer.

3 Days= 259200s

Doing the same calculation I get 9.216X10-9kg

Thank you :)