Cool and useful math I should learn? [3rd year +]

• Courses
  • Thread starter mcabbage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Year
In summary: Zee: Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell - chapter III.3 is a very gentle introduction to Lie theory for physicists. It's also a good book in general.In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's academic background as a mathematical physics student in Canada. They have been struggling in linear algebra but have been doing well in other courses. They mention their interest in completing a pure math curriculum and seeking advice on which courses to take or self-teach. The conversation also includes recommendations for books on various topics such as algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, measure and integration, geometry of manifolds, and Lie groups and algebras.
mcabbage
Some background: I'm a mathematical physics (it's not focused on the field titled mathematical physics specifically, but rather it's a general math and physics degree) student in Canada.

(Update if you saw my last post about struggling in linear algebra 2 - I have been doing very well in groups and rings (the course that comes after it). I think most of my struggle was due to some burnout and time management issues.)

I cover the standard undergraduate curriculum in math for physics - ODEs 1/2, PDEs, linear algebra 1/2, applied complex analysis, probability, and statistics. Also some applied math courses on quantum theory

I am also completing the majority of an analysis focused pure math curriculum (real analysis 1/2 which include topology, functional analysis, groups and rings) this has been going well this term since proofs and derivations come more naturally to me than rote computations (sign errors, misremembering procedure, etc)

I have completed the core classes, and I'm only left with 3rd and 4th year courses.

Rather than taking more courses (which is too much work and i'd learn a lot of useless-to-me stuff), I teach myself a lot of material (I mostly teach myself everything in all of my classes anyways - I learn better from books and discussions than from lectures). There are a few courses I don't know enough about - how valuable would it be to learn some:

Fields and Galois theory (prereq to some of the others listed)
Commutative Algebra
Representation Theory of Finite Groups
Measure and Integration
Algebraic Geometry
Geometry of Manifolds
Lie Groups and Algebras
or Algebraic Topology?

As these are offered at my school they would be the easiest to find study groups for and people to exchange knowledge with. Other suggestions are welcome!

If anyone is curious, see the AMATH and PMATH calendars for courses available to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
mcabbage said:
Fields and Galois theory (prereq to some of the others listed)
  1. Commutative Algebra
  2. Representation Theory of Finite Groups
  3. Measure and Integration
  4. Algebraic Geometry
  5. Geometry of Manifolds
  6. Lie Groups and Algebras
  7. Algebraic Topology
Assuming your major interest is still physics, then among those you listed, I would disregard the "finite cases" 1-2, which many of it can also be learned by book, if you are really interested in. I would add to the list of minor importance also algebraic geometry and algebraic topology. Not that they wouldn't have their justification to be on the list, however, what remains is more important:

5. Geometry of Manifolds

Of course it will depend on how the lectures are planned, i.e. where the emphases lay. You can teach Lie theory from an analytic point of view as well as from an algebraic one. Nevertheless, I think they are very important and I hope they cover Noether's theorem. Measures, integration, manifolds and Lie theory are basic skills for advanced physicists in my opinion.

As of the disregarded algebraic subjects (alg. geometry and alg. topology), I'd say it depends on what is in it. They are large fields and lectures can vary a lot. E.g. if your interested in cosmology, algebraic topology might be of some interest. However, the 3 courses I extracted from your list are already heavy stuff and essential for physicists. The more as Manifolds and Lie groups are closely related and all of them serve as examples for the more abstract algebraic subjects.

I see nothing that really emphasizes Fourier transformations. You might want to take a look at the Stanford Lectures for class EE261 (). I highly recommend it.

FactChecker said:
I see nothing that really emphasizes Fourier transformations. You might want to take a look at the Stanford Lectures for class EE261 (). I highly recommend it.

We do Fourier transforms in Partial Differential Equations as well as Calculus 4. Fourier analysis is also emphasized in Real Analysis 2 as well as in my Quantum Theory courses. I will check out this for good measure though! Thanks!

fresh_42 said:
Assuming your major interest is still physics, then among those you listed, I would disregard the "finite cases" 1-2, which many of it can also be learned by book, if you are really interested in. I would add to the list of minor importance also algebraic geometry and algebraic topology. Not that they wouldn't have their justification to be on the list, however, what remains is more important:

5. Geometry of Manifolds

Of course it will depend on how the lectures are planned, i.e. where the emphases lay. You can teach Lie theory from an analytic point of view as well as from an algebraic one. Nevertheless, I think they are very important and I hope they cover Noether's theorem. Measures, integration, manifolds and Lie theory are basic skills for advanced physicists in my opinion.

As of the disregarded algebraic subjects (alg. geometry and alg. topology), I'd say it depends on what is in it. They are large fields and lectures can vary a lot. E.g. if your interested in cosmology, algebraic topology might be of some interest. However, the 3 courses I extracted from your list are already heavy stuff and essential for physicists. The more as Manifolds and Lie groups are closely related and all of them serve as examples for the more abstract algebraic subjects.

Alright, I am definitely interested in cosmology, but I suppose I can learn the relevant alg top when it comes up in my studies. I will make sure I study a healthy amount of measure theory and integration. Luckily, our undergrad GR course spends about 2/3rds of the course doing differential geometry and tensors, so I will be well off for geometry and manifolds if I combine the course with self-study. As far as Lie theory goes, I can try to schedule the course but I don't think it will fit into my degree. Might as well learn that myself too (alongside friends who are interested).

Do you have any book suggestions on these topics?

mcabbage said:
Do you have any book suggestions on these topics?
I do.
However, they might be a bit thick to study by book, except for Humphreys which is good to read.

1. What is the significance of learning advanced math in the third year of my scientific studies?

Advanced math is essential for understanding complex scientific concepts and conducting research. It provides a strong foundation for problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, which are crucial in any scientific field. Additionally, many scientific theories and equations are based on advanced mathematical concepts, making it necessary for scientists to have a thorough understanding of them.

2. What are some specific areas of math that would be useful for me to learn as a scientist?

Some of the most useful areas of math for scientists include calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and differential equations. These branches of math are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. They can help with modeling, data analysis, and solving complex equations.

3. How can learning advanced math benefit my career as a scientist?

Learning advanced math can open up many career opportunities for scientists. Many industries, such as technology, finance, and research, require employees with strong mathematical skills. Additionally, having a solid understanding of advanced math can make it easier to learn and apply new concepts in your field and enhance your problem-solving abilities.

4. Can I still be a successful scientist if I am not good at math?

While having a strong foundation in math is beneficial for a career in science, it is not the only determining factor of success. Many scientists have succeeded in their fields without being exceptional at math. However, it is essential to have a basic understanding of math concepts and be open to learning and improving your skills. You can also seek help from tutors or colleagues to strengthen your math abilities.

5. Is it necessary to continue learning math even after completing my scientific studies?

Yes, it is essential to continue learning and practicing math even after completing your scientific studies. Math is a subject that requires consistent practice to maintain and improve skills. Additionally, as technology and research methods evolve, new mathematical concepts and techniques are constantly being developed, so it is crucial to stay updated in your field of study.