Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate representation of the momentum operator

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    The position operator in coordinate representation is:
    Xab=aδ(a-b)
    this is diagonal as expected

The momentum operator turns out to look like
    Pab=-ih∂aδ(a-b)

Now, this is not supposed to be diagonal because it does not commute with X.
    However it looks pretty diagonal to me.

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    The momentum operator is not what you wrote here. It is equal to:
    [tex]P_{ab} = e^{i(a-b)}[/tex]
    with some scaling factors.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    What exactly are you saying?

Anyone familiar with quantum mechanics in dirac notation?

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4
    I don't see how it looks diagonal. For something to be diagonal, it needs to be multiplied by a delta function. An example of a diagonal matrix is:

Oab=δ(a-b) f(a,b)

for arbitrary function f(a,b).

The delta function is essentially the identity matrix, and f(a,b) are the diagonal components.

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5
    From what I understood on distributions the support of the derivative of a distribution is contained within the support of the original distribution.

Therefore ∂aδ(a-b) should be zero wherever δ(a-b) is.

7. Jun 15, 2012 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Distributions are supported on functions ##f(a)##, not on the domain of the functions themselves. Given a function ##f(a)##, we have ##\delta[f]=f(0)## and ## \delta'[f]=f'(0)##. These are generally not equal. The same argument can be made for delta functions which are shifted away from the origin.

##\delta'## is as independent of ##\delta## as an ordinary function is from its derivative. There's no unitary operator that can map one to another (for all test functions ##f##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook