Correlation between the level of education and the number of friends

In summary, a study was performed in Brazil which found a correlation between education and number of friends, with more educated individuals having fewer friends. However, this study may have overlooked important variables and lacks depth. Other sources suggest that there could be multiple reasons for this trend, such as difficulty in finding meaningful conversations and joining social groups such as sects to fulfill the need for friendships.
Spathi
I have heard, that a study was performed, maybe in Brazil, and it showed that a correlation was found – more educated people have less friends. I was unable to google this work. Maybe somebody here knows it?

I found only the following:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/293045439_Country_roads_take_me_home_to_my_friends_How_intelligence_population_density_and_friendship_affect_modern_happiness

Here the authors studied double correlations and found, that among people with very high IQ, those who have more friends are less happy than those who have a small amount of friends; among people with low IQ, the trend is opposite (those who have more friends are less happy).

It’s a pity that this study do not pay attention to the level of education – I think it is a more important descriptor, than the IQ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @Spathi, the study focused on quantitative or qualitative relationships ?.

Are you asking us to help you find the paper? Or are you asking us to discuss a partially remembered and possibly misremembered fact?

In any event, let me say that correlation does not imply causality, and also say that two variables may be correlated because of a third variable. ("People with advanced degrees work longer hours, and people who work longer hours have less time for friends.")

Likes berkeman
Likes berkeman
Spathi said:
I have heard, that a study was performed, maybe in Brazil, and it showed that a correlation was found – more educated people have less friends. I was unable to google this work. Maybe somebody here knows it?

I found only the following:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/293045439_Country_roads_take_me_home_to_my_friends_How_intelligence_population_density_and_friendship_affect_modern_happiness

Here the authors studied double correlations and found, that among people with very high IQ, those who have more friends are less happy than those who have a small amount of friends; among people with low IQ, the trend is opposite (those who have more friends are less happy).

It’s a pity that this study do not pay attention to the level of education – I think it is a more important descriptor, than the IQ.
I'm not claiming to be that highly educated, But I'm relatively so in my environment. A big cause of my loneliness in my environment is that I can almost never have a meaningful conversation. I will always say things that are alien to the people I'm talking with, which will make them either nod to avoid embarrassment or completely disregard what I'm saying. I also use analogies across field which are just brilliant if understood, only to receive a nod. The problem is that I generally don't know if the other person doesn't know what I'm talking about; I will just assume they know all what I know, and it will only lead to frustration.

Likes BillTre
Spathi said:
I have heard, that a study was performed, maybe in Brazil, and it showed that a correlation was found – more educated people have less friends.
Do you even see how many things are wrong with this thread start? How many variables were not accounted for in this study? Why even bother trying to extract any useful information from such a limited BS study? Lordy.

Likes hutchphd and phinds
berkeman said:
Do you even see how many things are wrong with this thread start?
Eleventy-two?

• Haha
Likes berkeman and BillTre
berkeman said:
Do you even see how many things are wrong with this thread start? How many variables were not accounted for in this study? Why even bother trying to extract any useful information from such a limited BS study?
I don't understand your reply. You are talking about the Brazil study which I couldn't find, or the British study I cited? The latter seems to be a good work, it uses correct correlational analysis. I can post here some fragments of this study. And what means BS?

It's a pity that my question is not answered; I'd like to add that Arthur Shopenhauer wrote that smart people have limited number of friends and this makes their life more difficult, and I also think that people join sects because sects are very efficient way of getting friends.

Spathi said:
It's a pity that my question is not answered;
I'm, puzzled. Do you think you are entitled to an answer? Do you think other people are required to?

Your thread had a bad start, which you declined to fix. Is that our fault somehow?

Likes phinds, topsquark and berkeman
Spathi said:
It's a pity that my question is not answered; I'd like to add that Arthur Shopenhauer wrote that smart people have limited number of friends and this makes their life more difficult, and I also think that people join sects because sects are very efficient way of getting friends.
Honestly, I think you've got your answer. There are variables that haven't been correlated. I have few close friends now, but I have had groups of friends in the past. It isn't based on my education level but where I've chosen to live and my habits of getting out of the house. My father had a Masters in Guidance and was one of the most personable people I've ever met. However, I've met others with a High School education who have few friends. It's all over the map.

I suspect that the problem is that you are expecting us to look at the paper and say "Yes" for this reason, or "No" for this reason. But I believe the comment that experiment did not correlate the relevant variables is the best answer.

-Dan

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Sounds to me like the OP has few friends and is smart and wants confirmation from us that there is causality involved. I decline.

• Haha
Likes topsquark, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 2 others
LOL. Thread is now closed for good. Thanks for the good quality replies to the OP's question folks.

Likes topsquark

What is correlation and how is it measured?

Correlation is a statistical measure that shows the relationship between two variables. It is measured by the correlation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to 1. A higher positive value indicates a strong positive correlation, while a lower negative value indicates a strong negative correlation.

Is there a correlation between the level of education and the number of friends?

Yes, there is a positive correlation between the level of education and the number of friends. This means that as the level of education increases, the number of friends also tends to increase.

What factors can affect the correlation between education level and number of friends?

There are several factors that can affect this correlation, such as cultural norms, personality traits, and socioeconomic status. For example, in some cultures, having a higher education may not necessarily lead to having more friends, while in others, it may be highly valued and result in a larger social circle.

Does correlation imply causation?

No, correlation does not imply causation. Just because two variables are correlated does not mean that one causes the other. There may be other underlying factors that contribute to the relationship between education level and number of friends.

What are the potential benefits of having a higher education in terms of social connections?

Having a higher education can provide individuals with more opportunities to meet and interact with a diverse group of people. It can also improve communication and social skills, which can lead to forming and maintaining friendships. Additionally, higher education can also open doors to social events and networking opportunities.