Correlation funciton of a system with translational symmetry

In summary: You can call it macroscopic translational invariant, but translational invariance needs both macroscopic or microscopic, so the above relation f(x1-x2)=f(x1-x2) does not hold. Am I right?
Jeremy1986
Hi guys,
i have been confused by one statement on the spatial correlation funciton in the statistical physics textbook. They say for a spatial correlation function f(x1,x2), where x1 and x2 are the coordinate of particle 1 and 2, if the system has translational symmetry, then f depends only on the distance between 1 and 2, not on the coordinates of the particles. That is, f(x1-x2)=f(|x1-x2|) in this case.
i mean this sounds reasonable, but i just can't tell why. i am wondering if there is a solid demonstration on this. Could anybody give me some explanation on this? Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a translationally invariant situation, the correlation function must be translational invariant, because otherwise the system wouldn't be. That means that
$$f(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)=F(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2).$$
It doesn't tell you that the situation is also isotropic. Only then you can argue further that
$$F(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2)=G(|\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2|).$$

vanhees71 said:
If you have a translationally invariant situation, the correlation function must be translational invariant, because otherwise the system wouldn't be. That means that
$$f(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)=F(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2).$$
It doesn't tell you that the situation is also isotropic. Only then you can argue further that
$$F(\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2)=G(|\vec{x}_1-\vec{x}_2|).$$
Thanks vanhees71,
yes, you are right. the second relation holds only if the system has rotational symmetry at the same time. but i don't quite understand the first relation. the textbook gives a denmonstration of the first relation as follows
for f(x1,x2), if we translate the system by x2, then f(x1,x2)=f(x1-x2,0) ,which means that f(x1,x2) depends only on x1-x2.
Here, i think in this case the translational invariant means that the system stay unchanged after translating with any vector. this is different from the translational symmetry we talk about for crystal, because in crytals the system stays unchanged only if you translate it with certain vectors, the basic vertors. I don't know if i am right.

Sure, translation invariance means that the function must obey
$$f(\vec{x}_1+\vec{a},\vec{x}_2+\vec{a})=f(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)$$
for all ##\vec{a} \in \mathbb{R}^3##. For a crystal that's of course not the case anymore on a scale, where you resolve the microscopic structure. Then it's only translationally invariant for some discrete set of vectors. I'd call this periodic rather than translationally invariant.

vanhees71 said:
for all ##\vec{a} \in \mathbb{R}^3##. For a crystal that's of course not the case anymore on a scale, where you resolve the microscopic structure. Then it's only translationally invariant for some discrete set of vectors. I'd call this periodic rather than translationally invariant.

with your kind help, i got better understanding of spatial correlation function. but i have a final puzzle,

for solids or liquids, especially the amorphous solid, they use this kind of spatial correlation function, the so called pair distribution function. in the figure below, there is a definition of such pair distribution function, notice the red-underlined parts
0b67a764b0521355.jpg

So in this case, of amorphous solids or homogeneous fluid, why the translation invariance holds?

ps:i use an external website to upload the image, i can see the image myself, and i don't know if it works for you.

vanhees71 said:

so do you mean a solid is macroscopic translational invariant? if we translate it with some distance in macroscopic scale, that solid still stay as it just changed its position. can we call it macroscopic translational invariant? but translational invariant needs both macroscopic or microscopic, so the above relation f(x1-x2)=f(x1-x2) does not hold. am i right?

What is the correlation function of a system with translational symmetry?

The correlation function of a system with translational symmetry is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between different points within the system. It measures the extent to which the values of one point are related to the values of another point in the system.

Why is the correlation function important in studying systems with translational symmetry?

The correlation function is important in studying systems with translational symmetry because it allows scientists to understand the spatial organization and interactions of the system. It can also provide insights into the physical properties and behavior of the system.

How is the correlation function calculated?

The correlation function is calculated by taking the average of the product of the values at two points in the system, and then subtracting the product of the individual averages at those points. This calculation is repeated for all possible pairs of points in the system.

What is the significance of a high correlation function value?

A high correlation function value indicates a strong relationship between the points in the system. This can suggest that the system has a high degree of order or that there are strong interactions between the points.

What is the difference between the correlation function and the autocorrelation function?

The correlation function measures the relationship between two different points in a system, while the autocorrelation function measures the relationship between a point and itself. The autocorrelation function is often used to study the temporal behavior of a system, while the correlation function is used to study the spatial behavior.