Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corvette is a great American classic

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

While I agree with Cyrus that that Corvette is a great American classic, I must post this as a reminder that there are other classics. Of course this is a '68 Mustang which I will be driving to work tonight. She's a beauty, which we inherited this summer. My father-in-law owned this since the early 70's. It has been garaged and carefully maintained for the last 20yrs.

Yes, my father-in-law passed away this summer, We miss him.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    Nice car, sorry about your father in law. Shes in great condition.

Drove the Vette again today, all I can say is...................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Please accept my condolensces.

You are right, the original Mustangs are classic cars. I rode in one in 1966, which was either a '65 or a '66. Nice car. A friend in university had a '74 Mustang :yuck: :grumpy: . He almost wiped out when a Firestone 721 radial warped and lost its tread at 75+ mph. Yeah, even back then, Firestone tires had problems.

I had a friend who drove a '69 Mercury Cougar, another classic, until a little 'ol lady in a Cadillac broadsided him. :rolleyes:

I once rode in a Vette ('74 or '75) that had a modified 454 with racing shift and clutch, and heavy duty transmission. I got pinned to the seat at full acceleration. :biggrin:

5. Aug 27, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have only driven the Mustang the 2 miles from my F-i-L's garage to our driveway, I am going to dirve to work tonight just to show it off. This is the first American V-8 (it's a 289) I have driven in years, I am looking forward to the drive. In fact I may even leave for work early just to drive!

6. Aug 27, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Don't forget to pull into a Sonic! :biggrin:

7. Aug 31, 2006 #6
    I hate that place.

With an endless passion. Well, maybe not. But I do hate it.

8. Aug 31, 2006 #7
    Yes it is a nice classic. To bad it was built by Ford:wink:

Sorry to for your loss:frown:

9. Aug 31, 2006 #8
    What the hell is a sonic? :confused:

I guess it's like a white castle, whatever the hell that is!? :yuck:

I'm glad we dont have any of that stuff down here!

We have a place called checkers, it sucks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  10. Aug 31, 2006 #9

Evo

It's a fast food place where the bring the food to your car. Problem is that you're supposed to tip the person for bringing you your food.

I love Sonic's Extreme Tot's, chilidogs and cherry limeades. :approve:

11. Aug 31, 2006 #10
    We have a place like that called silver diner. Only, its not fast food. It's like an actual diner with real meat and stuff.

http://www.silverdiner.com/

Only place you can get food in the Pike until 2 am.

See, its a real diner. :approve:

[​IMG]

Not fast food garbage :yuck: :yuck:

Actually, Intergral should take his car there!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  12. Aug 31, 2006 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the stepfather.

The car is waayyyy cool! If I ever lived in the US the first thing I'd do would be to go and find something with a lovely V8 in, and I can almost guarantee it'd be a Mustang.

13. Aug 31, 2006 #12

No, the problem is that the food is utterly disgusting.

I feel ill reading that list.

14. Aug 31, 2006 #13
    Thats a great car! Hope you get somewhere, where the speed limits can be pushed a bit. Its actually good for the engin!
    Sorry for the loss of your father-in-law, you can tell he really loved that car. Its beautiful.

15. Sep 1, 2006 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny you should mention that? Is there an association I am not familiar with?

We do not have Sonics in the PNW... BUT...

They advertise for them on our Satellite TV system. The Wife and kids thought they sounded interesting, did a bit of research and found the nearest Sonics to be in Fresno, California. So a couple of years ago we modified our trip to So. Cal. to go down Highway 99 instead of I5. This takes us through Fresno (and is a much more scenic drive then I5 :yuck: (that is I5 between Sac. And LA)

I like the Strawberry Lemonade!

16. Sep 1, 2006 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have eaten is a few east coast dinners, some are very good others ... well that is where the term greasy spoon was defined.! I think I'll keep this horse west of the Rockies!

17. Sep 1, 2006 #16

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, we have some back roads around here that I should be able to get it up to speed on. However... In the late 60's US auto makers were much better at producing powerful engines then they were at suspension systems. This handles just like I remember other cars of the era. It sort of floats down the road, I simply do not feel the grip and control that modern cars have.

We do have some nice long straight stretches so... Varooom....

I may be posting pics of some of the other interesting titbits of history we uncover in the cleaning out of his house....

Like a 6pack of Coors Beer..dated "About 1970" :surprised

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?