Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic Radiation - how is our sun's speed calculated?

1. Oct 26, 2010 #1
    From the anisotropic dipole of the CMB, they are able to calculate our velocity through space relative to this radiation. How exactly is this done - in general terms. What assumptions are they needing to make ab out this radiation to deduce our speed from it?

I don't understand the connection between observing the radiation and identifying our speed relative to it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The connection is basically just the Doppler effect. The radiation will appear blueshifted in the direction of motion and redshifted in the opposite direction. That's why there is a dipole in the first place. This can tell you the velocity relative to a frame of reference in which the radiation appears isotropic (down to a level of one part in 105 of course :wink:)

4. Oct 26, 2010 #3
    Oh.... I think I'm getting it now. It sounds like you mean they are comparing the frequency of the dipole radiation to the frequency of the non-dipole radiation. The difference in frequency represents the speed at which we are travelling (ie, based on the doppler shift of this frequency that is)?

Thanks for the explanation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook