Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could an eliptical galaxy exist with an axis of rotation?

1. Dec 20, 2013 #1
    I was wondering if a galaxy could be perfectly orbiting to create a sort of axis of rotation, with a period being like 50 million years, or is it impossible because of some property that elliptical galaxies have? If it is possible, what is the probability that it exists in our observable universe, is it far-fetched to think?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Are you asking whether an elliptical galaxy could be spinning around an axis similar to how spiral galaxies do? Or are you asking about something orbiting an elliptical galaxy?

4. Dec 20, 2013 #3
    I'm talking about the galaxy itself rotating on an axis.

5. Dec 20, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Many ellipticals are seen to rotate. (A quick check with Google would have shown that) 50 million years is very unlikely. Ellipticals tend to be larger and rotate more slowly than spirals, and this is much faster than the Milky Way's rotation.

6. Dec 20, 2013 #5

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Wouldn't that be about right for a fast dwarf elliptical?
    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0204173
    I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but looking at fig.2, at least some of these velocities mean about 100-ish million year periods, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook