Could entropy remain the same overall?

• I
  • Thread starter DarkStar42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an increase in entropy in one part of the Universe leading to a decrease in other parts, and the idea that the Universe's expansion may be an attempt to maintain a constant level of entropy. This is viewed in the context of the Universe being a finite entity, but boundless in nature. It is also mentioned that despite the presence of stars, there may be multiple cycles occurring while entropy remains constant.
DarkStar42
I have read a bit from the book Cycles of Time(Penrose), and I wondered whether an increase in entropy in one part of the Universe, lead to a decrease in entropy in other parts, and maybe the universe's expansion is an attempt by the Universe to keep entropy at the same level.
And eventually you get another big bang...I like to think of this process, in the context of the Universe being a 3-sphere, or 3-torus, or some such...ie finite at anyone time, but boundless.

So even with stars shining in one universe, you might get many cycles, all the while entropy staying the same.

I hope this isn't too non-mainstream..?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
DarkStar42 said:
and I wondered whether an increase in entropy in one part of the Universe, lead to a decrease in entropy in other parts
It doesn't.
DarkStar42 said:
and maybe the universe's expansion is an attempt by the Universe to keep entropy at the same level.
I don't see how you got that impression. No.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and can also be applied to other fields such as information theory and economics.

2. How does entropy change?

Entropy can increase or remain the same in a closed system, but it cannot decrease. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. Can a system have constant entropy?

In theory, a system can have constant entropy if there is no energy transfer or change in the number of microstates (possible arrangements of particles) within the system. However, it is highly unlikely for this to occur in reality.

4. What factors influence the change in entropy?

The change in entropy can be influenced by several factors, including energy transfer, temperature, and the number of microstates within the system. Generally, any process that increases the disorder or randomness within a system will result in an increase in entropy.

5. Is it possible for entropy to decrease locally while remaining the same overall?

No, it is not possible for entropy to decrease in one part of a system while remaining the same overall. This is because the total entropy of a closed system must always increase, and any decrease in one part of the system will be offset by an increase in another part.