Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could nanomachines reduced turbulence?

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    Right now I think one of the key problems with confining fusion in a tokamak is that turbulence is generated within the plasma. I was wondering if it were hypothetically possible a hypothethical nanomachine to control the random bombard of atoms that create turbulence and thus cease turbulence. Is that scenario plausible , since their is a similar scenario being proposed to inject nanomachines in the body of a cancer patient to fight off cancer cells.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. I can think of quite a few reasons why this wouldn't work. One of the most obvious being that the machines would have to operate in an environment that is hot enough to create a plasma, what kind of material would you build them from?

Also, on a more serious note. The idea of "nanobots" that are REALLY nm sized is very, very far fetched. Yes, it might one day be possible to create relatively sophisticated machines that are small enough to be injected in the body (although I doubt it) but we are still talking about machines on the micron (and probably tens or hundreds of microns) scale; much bigger than single atoms. And we can already manipulate single atoms. It is called chemistry.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
    Well, why haven't chemists been able to reduce turbulence then in plasmas? I didn't think chemist worked with high energy phenomena like plasma. The idea of Nanobots farfecteched? Scientists have already invented the "nanocar"(http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=7850&SnID=971109686) why not the nanobot? In addition, if the tokamak and some light bultbs are able to within hold the plasma without itself disintegrating, which can't the nanobot withstand the wrath of the plasma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook