Could nanomachines reduced turbulence?

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbulence
In summary: Well, there are a few reasons. The first is that turbulence is actually a necessary part of the plasma reaction. Without it, the atoms wouldn't be able to fuse together and the plasma would become too dense. Scientists have been able to reduce turbulence in plasmas by using devices called "coolsinks," but they are very large and expensive. It's also difficult to keep the coolsinks cold, which is why tokamaks often have to run at very high temperatures. It's possible that a nanobot could withstand the wrath of the plasma, but it would be very difficult and probably not very effective.
noblegas
Right now I think one of the key problems with confining fusion in a tokamak is that turbulence is generated within the plasma. I was wondering if it were hypothetically possible a hypothethical nanomachine to control the random bombard of atoms that create turbulence and thus cease turbulence. Is that scenario plausible , since their is a similar scenario being proposed to inject nanomachines in the body of a cancer patient to fight off cancer cells.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was wondering if it were hypothetically possible a hypothethical nanomachine to control the random bombard of atoms that create turbulence and thus cease turbulence. Is that scenario plausible

No. I can think of quite a few reasons why this wouldn't work. One of the most obvious being that the machines would have to operate in an environment that is hot enough to create a plasma, what kind of material would you build them from?

Also, on a more serious note. The idea of "nanobots" that are REALLY nm sized is very, very far fetched. Yes, it might one day be possible to create relatively sophisticated machines that are small enough to be injected in the body (although I doubt it) but we are still talking about machines on the micron (and probably tens or hundreds of microns) scale; much bigger than single atoms. And we can already manipulate single atoms. It is called chemistry.

f95toli said:
No. I can think of quite a few reasons why this wouldn't work. One of the most obvious being that the machines would have to operate in an environment that is hot enough to create a plasma, what kind of material would you build them from?

Also, on a more serious note. The idea of "nanobots" that are REALLY nm sized is very, very far fetched. Yes, it might one day be possible to create relatively sophisticated machines that are small enough to be injected in the body (although I doubt it) but we are still talking about machines on the micron (and probably tens or hundreds of microns) scale; much bigger than single atoms. And we can already manipulate single atoms. It is called chemistry.

Well, why haven't chemists been able to reduce turbulence then in plasmas? I didn't think chemist worked with high energy phenomena like plasma. The idea of Nanobots farfecteched? Scientists have already invented the "nanocar"(http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=7850&SnID=971109686) why not the nanobot? In addition, if the tokamak and some light bultbs are able to within hold the plasma without itself disintegrating, which can't the nanobot withstand the wrath of the plasma.

1. What are nanomachines and how do they work?

Nanomachines are tiny mechanical devices that are typically measured in nanometers. They are designed to perform specific tasks at the nanoscale level, using various mechanisms such as molecular motors, switches, and sensors. These devices can be controlled and programmed to perform specific functions, such as reducing turbulence in a fluid.

2. How can nanomachines reduce turbulence?

Nanomachines can reduce turbulence by disrupting the chaotic flow patterns within a fluid. This can be achieved through various means, such as creating micro-vortices or altering the surface properties of the fluid. By controlling and manipulating the flow at such a small scale, nanomachines can help to reduce turbulence and improve fluid flow efficiency.

3. What are the potential benefits of using nanomachines to reduce turbulence?

The potential benefits of using nanomachines to reduce turbulence include improved efficiency and performance in various industries, such as transportation, energy production, and biomedical applications. By reducing turbulence, nanomachines can also reduce drag and energy consumption, leading to cost savings and environmental benefits.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using nanomachines for reducing turbulence?

As with any emerging technology, there may be potential risks associated with using nanomachines to reduce turbulence. These could include unintended consequences, such as altering the properties of the fluid in ways that could be harmful to the environment or human health. Additionally, there may be concerns about the ethical implications of using nanomachines in this manner.

5. What are the current challenges in using nanomachines to reduce turbulence?

One of the main challenges in using nanomachines to reduce turbulence is creating and controlling them at a large enough scale to have a significant impact on the fluid flow. Additionally, there may be challenges in integrating these devices into existing systems and ensuring their stability and longevity. Further research and development are needed to overcome these challenges and fully harness the potential of nanomachines for reducing turbulence.