1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could someone help me do a comparision between various fuels?

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    Could someone help me do a comparision between various fuels? I need to know which fuel is the best/worst, seeing this out of a environmental and energy perspective.

substance] [combustion]
    Etanol -1367 kJ/mole
    Metanol -726 kJ/mole
    Metan -890 kJ/mole
    Olja -50 kJ/mole
    Vätgas -286 kJ/mole

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're not going to do your homework for you. Most of this information can be found by using googe or wikipedia.

- Warren

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    I don't want an answer, I want a decent discussion about it!

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

"environmental and energy perspective"

What the hell does that even mean?

The "best" fuel is the one with the highest energy to weight ratio. You've already been given the energies, so lookup the weight for each one and figure out the ratio.

6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The "best" from an environmental standpoint would be the one that pollutes the least. That would be hydrogen. Hydrocarbons can be ranked according to relative hydrogen content.

7. Oct 26, 2007 #6
    True about hydrogen being hte "best" fuel from an environmental perspective, but then that also depends on how the hydrogen is extracted as this requires energy in itself. You should look at the energy released during combustion verus the CO2 released in the product side if you're thinking about burning the fuels as they are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?